Super Easy Way to Make DIY Straw Beads
We love these easy DIY beads! Today we are making some homemade kids jewelry using plain old drinking straws. Grab some paper or plastic straws, a pair of scissors and some yarn and kids of all ages can have some fun with this easy 5 minute craft that transforms them into cool DIY beads.
Sometimes a kid’s craft is so simple, that you stop and say, “Now, why didn’t I think of that?” That’s what everyone says when I show them how easy it is to make DIY straw beads!
How to Make paper straw beads
You can use almost any type of drinking straws for this craft, but our favorite is the colorful and often brightly striped paper straws. This craft works for kids of all ages even younger kids. Preschoolers will love making their own “beads” and then stringing them on yarn for bracelets and other pieces of homemade jewelry.
The threading activity is great for developing fine motor skills! We love playing in a way that helps kids master coordination while having fun.
This post contains affiliate links.
Supplies Needed To Make DIY Straw Beads
- paper straws are our favorite, but plastic straws work, as well!
- scissors or preschool training scissors
- (Optional) clear tape
Directions to Make DIY Straw Beads
Short Video How to Make a Straw Necklace
To make your straw beads, all you have to do is cut your straw into little half inch sections.
Cut your yarn the length you want for a bracelet or necklace.
The best part about this project is, the size of your straw beads can vary because you decide how long to make the beads!
Paper Bead Craft Tip
In order to string your beads, just add a bit of tape to the end of the yarn so it doesn’t fray as you play with it.
If you are making a bracelet, tie the ends of the yarn to secure to wrist. If you are making a necklace, then secure the ends with the clear tape for safety.
You can make your beads all one color with just a straw or two, or you can go all out and make them lots of colors. More ideas for changing the bead design are:
- I really like the way she make her straw beads shiny here.
- Use different types of string, yarn or even light wire to thread the beads.
- Vary the length of the straw beads and have some colors always longer or shorter and make patterns.
How Old Do Kids Have To Be To Make DIY Straw Beads?
This craft is great for preschoolers, as well as older kids. It also makes a great idea for times when you have multiple age groups crafting together.
Each child is different, and parents know them best. If your child struggles with scissor skills, then pre-cutting the straw beads can make the beginning of this craft faster.
Just make sure that they are old enough to understand that the beads cannot be eaten!
Make Paper Straw Beads for Kids Jewelry Crafts
With just drinking straws and string or yarn, you can create some really fun bracelets and kids jewelry in minutes! We love this simple craft project that has endless options for fun...
- drinking straws - we like the paper ones best for this craft
- (optional) tape
- Using scissors, cut straws into little half inch sections (or smaller if desired).
- String paper straw beads onto yarn cut to the size of wrist or other jewelry piece you want to make.
- If making a bracelet, tie the yarn to secure to wrist. If making a necklace, secure the ends with tape so it can "break-away" for safety.
- Repeat! This is fun!
What Can I Do With DIY Straw Beads?
The possibilities for DIY straw beads are endless!
DIY straw beads can be used to make necklaces, paper straw bracelets, rings, earrings, pins, barrettes, keychains, and even animal keychains!
You can mix them with pony beads and other beads for a cool look, or you can craft with just straw beads.
More Straw & Beads Crafts from Kids Activities Blog
- 50 Creative Straw Crafts
- This straw building activity is the best STEM activity around!
- Paper Straw Valentine Darts
- Silly straws are so much fun and can be used for fine motor skills games.
- 10 Incredible Straw Crafts
- Oh so many perler beads ideas!
- Have you ever tried milk flavor straws? <–we have the scoop!
- A guaranteed way to stop hiccups is with the hiccup straw. Who knew?
More Crafts Including Beads From Kids Activities Blog
Check out these mardi gras crafts! Make epic masks and necklaces!
THE BIG BOOK OF KIDS ACTIVITIES
This paper bead jewelry making activity is one of the featured kids crafts in our newest book, The Big Book of Kids Activities has 500 projects that are the bestest, funnest ever! Written for kids ages 3-12 it is the compilation of bestselling kids activities books perfect for parents, grandparents and babysitters looking for new ways to entertain kids. Making paper straw beads is one of over 30 classic crafts that use materials you have on hand that are featured in this book!
Oh! And grab The Big Book of Kids Activities printable play calendar for a year’s worth of playful fun.
How did your straw beads craft turn out? What did your kids make with the DIY beads?