Today we are sharing the best Perler bead ideas around that take easy Perler bead patterns and melty bead projects to the next level. Older kids of all ages will love transforming their simple Perler bead crafts into something really amazing with these project ideas.
Easy Perler Bead Ideas for Kids
Perler bead crafts are easy crafts for kids that are just plain awesome pixel art and so much fun. Perler beads are also known as Hama Beads, Fuse Beads or Melty Beads.
Melty beads are teeny, tiny colorful beads with a hole in the middle that you arrange on a mat that has a grid of spikes (plastic pegboards). You can place Perler bead patterns under the clear mat to easily follow a bead design. Once you have all the colorful beads in the right place, you fuse them together by placing a piece of parchment paper over the top and applying heat with an iron.
This article contains affiliate links.
Supplies Needed for Perler Bead Crafts
You can get all the basic supplies you need to start crafting with Perler beads in starter Perler Bead kits. I like the FunzBo Fuse Beads for Kids Craft Art Set because it comes with the Hama beads with the different colors separated and stored in plastic containers which makes it faster to use. Or you can get the supplies individually at craft stores:
- Perler Bead Pegboard – I like the clear or transparent peg boards, especially the square pegboards
- Perler Beads in Assorted Colors – search for plastic fusible beads
- Perler Beads Bead Tweezer Tools
- Perler Bead Pattern – or kids can make up their own designs
- Parchment Paper or Ironing Paper
Safety Note: Because Perler beads are very small, use extreme caution with younger kids or siblings that might want to eat the colorful bits.
Fun Perler Beads Ideas
I’ve gathered my favorite Perler bead projects that go beyond just a simple melty bead pattern and design to make really fun colorful masterpieces. These fuse bead ideas and easy DIY crafts are super fun things to make with colorful Perler beads.
1. Melty Bead Bookmarks Craft
What is so cool about this Perler bead idea is that you can start with any small bead pattern you want and then add a paperclip to make a Melty Bead bookmark. Your favorite chapter books can now have a customized bookmark with your favorite characters. Oh, and they make good gifts too. See the gorgeous kid-friendly designs and how-to tutorial on BabbleDabbleDo.
2. Make Perler Bead Buttons
What a simple Perler Bead idea that transforms a craft into an accessory! Add a pop of color to an old cardigan with perler bead buttons. Extra big DIY buttons for little hands! see how to make on MakerMama
3. Easy Rainbow Loom Bracelet Woven with Perler Beads
Check out this video tutorial for making Rainbow Loom Bracelets with Perler Beads – very easy to make for beginners and seasoned rainbow loomers from dabblesandbabbles.
4. DIY Perler Bead Coasters
Love them! Making them! These melty bead coasters are adorable and would be great for any summer occasion. Grab the instructions to transform the colorful plastic beads into slices of summer fruit from My Frugal Adventures. Oh, and check out the cute idea for DIY Perler bead drink covers too!
5. Mini DIY Bead Kaleidoscopes You Can Make at Home
Just look at what you can make with some toilet roll tubes and a variety of colors of tiny beads! just awesome from BabbleDabbleDo
6. Make a Perler Bead Bowl
This Perler Bead Bowl craft is such a gorgeous bead craft for girls, how pretty! We originally made this as a kid-made gift for a relative’s home decor and it went over really well.
7. Handmade Kids Bike License Plates from Melty Beads
Aren’t these fun patterns?! Kids will revel in the opportunity to design and personalize their own bike plates with Willow Day.
Cool Perler Bead Designs
8. Super Cute Hama Bead Bracelets Kids Can Make
Let’s make these cool Perler bead bracelets! Deliciously attractive – a fun accessory for big and little girls alike, and you can make them in any color combination to suit your mood. By MakerMama on DIYCandy
9. DIY Spinning Toys from Fuse Beads
I love these Perler bead creations! So colourful, so easy to make, for hours of spinning fun via BabbleDabbleDo
10. Homemade Gift Tags Made from Perler Beads
Super cute robots, balloons, bows, whatever diy decoration you would like to add created from fuse bead crafts to gifts for special friends, anytime of year. See the finished project on this pin from CurlyBirds.
11. DIY Pi Day Bracelets from Hama Beads
A great way to combine math, art, and crafting! The tiny plastic beads are strung according to Pi’s digits. Cool right? Follow along with PinkStripeySocks & check our her stretchy perler bead fruit bracelets too!
12. Create a Perler Bead Maze
Kids will really enjoy both designing their toy with Perler beads and then using it. See how to make this bead project on BabbleDabbleDo.
13. DIY Perler Picture Frame Using Perler Beads For Kids
Make your own picture frames for you and your best friends using Perler beads! You can make gifts for all your friends and family featuring your favorite photos. See how to make on CraftsUnleashed & don’t forget to make several of the Perler bead frame projects because they are great gift ideas!
14. Perler Bead Monogram Necklaces You Can Make
Invite your children to create some 80’s necklaces and initial pendants – see how to make on I Try DIY from simple pattern designs!
Cute Perler Bead Ideas
15. Homemade Melted Bead Bracelets
These melded peeler bead bracelets look so good they could be store bought! What a fun way to craft! Grab the step by step instructions at craftandcreativity.
16. Melty Bead Puzzles to Make & Play
How clever! functional pentominoes puzzle out of these colorful little melty beads via rachelswartley
17. DIY Abacus Using Melty Beads
Lots of opportunities for learning and development as well as being a lovely project to make together. via lalymom
18. Fusible Bead Decorations for the Holidays
Perfect for Easter, Halloween, Christmas or time during the year – depending on what cute cookie cutters you have. via picklebums
More Bead Fun for Kids
- Super fun crafts with pony beads for kids from Play Ideas.
- How to make paper beads that are colorful like a rainbow!
- Simple DIY beads made out of drinking straws…these turn out so cute and are great for lacing with younger kids.
- Preschool math with beads – super fun counting activity.
- How to make a beaded wind chime…these are so fun!
- This genius threading craft for preschoolers are actually crazy straws and beads!
Which perler bead project did you choose first?