We are always looking for fun April Fool’s pranks for kids and love the idea of making your own eyeball ice cubes. These are simple to make and work year round for fun. In fact, using these at Halloween could be a great idea. You can make these eyeball ice cube prank props at home with these simple instructions or we have a list of eyeball prank props you can buy.
Make Eyeball Ice Cubes
When kids are little it is fun to plan April Fool’s Day pranks for them to pull with them. My son and I created eyeball ice cubes to slip into my husband’s water glass as a practical joke. We just knew he would jump if he saw eyeballs in his glass!
This article contains affiliate links.
Supplies to Make Eyeball Ice Cubes
- Mini marshmallows
- Green, brown or blue & a black food markers
- Ice cube tray or a round ice cube tray
How to Make Eyeball Ice Cubes at Home
The ice cubes were so easy to make and such fun see how they would turn out. The prank could actually have been on us instead of on him if they hadn’t turned out so cute!
Grab a mini-marshmallow and using a green, brown or blue marker make a circle of color on both ends of the marshmallow.
With the black food marker fill in the middle of the colored circle on both ends of the marshmallow making a “pupil”.
Let the food marker color dry completely.
We place the marshmallows into the compartments of an ice cube tray that makes oval ice cubes. You could use traditional ice cube trays or the newer style round ones. Cover with water.
We placed the tray into the freezer for a few hours until they had frozen completely.
Our Experience Making Eyeball Ice Cubes
We weren’t really sure how these ice cubes were going to turn out. I came with the how I wanted to make these, some of my concerns were:
- I wasn’t sure if the marshmallows would expand.
- We didn’t know if the pupils would wash off of the marshmallows and turn the ice cubes green. That would leave us with blank eyes.
- We didn’t know how much the marker might bleed as soon as it had contact with water.
Our Results Making Eyeball Ice Cubes
As you can see some of the eyeball ice cubes ending up with pupils that bled their color into the marshmallows we drew them on. One ice cube had too much water and it pushed the marshmallow almost completely out of its compartment. Almost every ice cube turned over or turned sideways while the water around it was freezing.
We were really surprised to see that the marshmallows kept their size. None of them expanded. But in the end it really turned out well. The bleeding of the colors made the eyes look even a little creepier!
Eyeball Ice Cube Prank
After we created the homemade eyeball ice cubes, we quietly made a drink for dad and my son delivered it to him to quench his thirst.
My husband was surprised to find this floating in his water glasses. He didn’t scream with fear, but he did think they were really funny. And my son thought it was hilarious!
I think we will try them again.
More Eyeball Prank Ideas for Kids
While doing some research on how to make our own eyeball ice, I came across some other really cute eyeball prank ideas that your kids could pull on friends and relatives:
- Fake floating eyeball gross prank
- Squishy rubber gross eyeball splat balls
- Springy Eyeball Glasses for Funny Prank
- And if you are looking for another ice prank, check out these fake bugs in fake ice cube practical joke props
More Pranks & Jokes for Kids from Kids Activities Blog
What a fun prank to play with ice cubes! Do you have a favorite April Fools prank? For more great kids activities and pranks, you might be interested in some of these funny ideas:
- April Fools pranks for kids to play
- April Fools pranks for parents
- Funny pranks to play
- Practical jokes for kids
- Funny jokes for kids
- Fun facts for kids that will make them giggle
- Play a cereal prank!
- This is a simple and silly bathroom prank idea
- This fishing for a dollar prank will have kids scurrying around the yard
- Play a pillow prank
- Or a sleeping boy prank
- Or surprise prank that is sealed with a kiss
Related: For more fun with ice, try lifting ice cube experiment
Did your kids enjoy this homemade eyeball ice cube prank?