Valentine’s Day Painting Ideas for Kids – Paint Heart Rocks
Let’s do some Valentines Day Painting — with rocks and stones you can find near home. This super cute Valentine’s Day Painted Heart Rocks Craft Kids Will Love! In this Valentine’s Day craft for kids and adults, we’ll show you how to make adorable heart stones that will melt everyone’s hearts.
Valentine’s Day is more than a holiday for lovers.-Unknown
It’s a time to share love with others!
Today I want to share with you this activity that our family had lots of fun doing a Share the Love Project.
This post contains affiliate links.
Rock Painting Ideas for Kids To Share the Love
Here’s all you need to make this cute Valentine’s Day Heart Stone Craft:
Valentine’s Day Heart Stone Craft Supplies
- several smooth rocks (river stone works great)
- acrylic paint
- foam brushes
- cotton swabs
- (Optional) Sharpie or paint pen
Steps for Making Heart Painted Rocks
Alrighty! We have everything we need to start painting stones and rocks…so let’s do this!
Step 1 – Valentine Rocks Craft
Start by collecting smooth rocks, or you can also purchase rocks from a craft or home improvement store.
If using rocks you collected, then make sure they are clean and dry before you paint on them. I had an old grocery bag full of river rock from a long ago craft project that I gave my kids.
Step 2 – Valentine Rocks Craft
Next prepare your area for painting and apply the first, base coat of paint on the rocks.
Paint the base and once that has dried turn the rock over and paint the other side.
Depending on your paint (and desired color saturation), you may need to put a second coat on.
Step 3 – Valentine Rocks Craft
Allow the painted base coat to dry on the stones. Reapplying and touching up as needed for coverage.
Then, paint hearts on the rocks in a contrasting color.
Step 4 – Valentine Rock Craft
Lastly, add your message to the back. You can use paint, but we found that using a Sharpie, paint pen or other permanent marker was easier to handle.
We wanted the people that found the rocks to know that they are loved. So that was our message, but feel free to add whatever you want!
Sharing Your Painted Heart Rocks
Share the love!
Go to a park, the mall, grocery store, library, public bathrooms, hospital waiting room… and place the rock in a place that is visible. You can put it anywhere on the floor, on a shelf, or by a vending machine, etc.
If you are more comfortable, leave the heart stones at places where you are familiar with the people. You can share it with family members, at church, or even at school!
More Painted Rock Ideas for Kids
- Check out these painted rock creatures for kids
- Here is a big selection of games with rocks and rock activities.
- Have fun with out Halloween painted rocks and then play a math activity with rocks!
- And we love this big list of rock painting ideas that the whole family will enjoy!
More Valentine Ideas from Kids Activities Blog
Share the love this Valentine’s Day with even more fun Valentine’s Day crafts and activities!
- Any fabric scraps? Check out this Valentine’s Day fabric craft idea!
- Share the Love with this joy activity for kids
- Arts and Crafts for Kids <–So many fun ideas!
- We have over 80 ideas for homemade kids Valentines cards
- Download & print this Valentine word search game for kids
- We have two ways to fold an origami heart – these are fun to make and give like the rocks!
- Oh so many fun (and easy) things to do to make the best Valentines Day party for kids!
- Two homemade Valentine box ideas that you can make from things in your recycling bin.
- We have some cute Valentines coloring pages for adults and some Valentines coloring pages for kids too!
Did you paint Valentine rocks? Where did you hide them?
This is such a cool idea for heart rocks — fun project and gift idea! We always get inspired over here on KAB! Thank you for linking up in our Crafty Showcase last week.
Thanks for sharing!
xoxo Susie @Bowdabra
Love this! Such a creative craft for heart rocks! We have plenty of rocks and paint, so this will definitely be on my list of fun activities to do with my 3-year-old son. Thank you so much for sharing!
Our kids love collecting rock. Rocks that are made special for them is such a great idea like these heart rocks!!
Such a fun rock craft for kids. Thank you for sharing with us at #HomeMattersParty . We would love to see you again next week. #heartrocks
These are so cute and such a great idea. Why not make those rocks that the kids pick up into something beautiful!?! Thank you for sharing on Moonlight & Mason Jars link party.
Thanks everyone! We love this heart rocks activity year round, but it is especially fun around Valentines Day.