Roasted pumpkin seeds make a healthy snack. Roasting pumpkin seeds is one of the most popular ways to prepare pumpkin seeds and it is so easy! Learn how to make this simple pumpkin seed snack with a nutty flavor that kids love with this easy step by step recipe.
Roasting Pumpkin Seeds is Easy
This is a super simple recipe for pumpkin seeds is something we do every fall after visiting the pumpkin patch, picking out our pumpkins and carving our jack-o-lanterns. Kids of all ages will enjoy learning how to make roasted pumpkin seeds.
Picking a Pumpkin
Our favorite place to choose pumpkins is at the pumpkin patch, but the farmer’s market and even the grocery store work too. We try and pick a pumpkin that is both pretty and manageable in size.
Our favorite type of pumpkin for the best pumpkin seeds is a pie pumpkin.
Removing the Pumpkin Seeds
If you are carving a jack-o-lantern for Halloween, you know the first step is to cut off the top and scoop out the pulp and seeds. The easiest way to do this is with pumpkin carving tools where the scoop has serrated edges allowing it to shave the inside of the pumpkin flesh, but a large metal spoon will work too.
The absolute highlight of the afternoon was watching the kids separate the seeds from the gooey pulp. They *loved* the squishy textures!
Separate the pumpkin seeds from the stringy pulp. We are ready to make roasted pumpkin seeds!
Easy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds Recipe
These tasty roasted pumpkin seeds are vegan and are one of my favorite toppings for salads or fall soups.
- Pumpkin Seeds you just removed from the pumpkin
- Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
Directions for Making Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
To fully remove the sticky and stringy pumpkin pulp from the seeds, rinse them thoroughly. I find a colander works best and then pat them dry on a paper towel.
Spray your baking sheet with olive oil, spray the seeds with olive oil and toss or sprinkle with sea salt.
Place them in the oven at 200 degrees on a cookie sheet. Bake for about 5 minuets, stir them so they don’t stick to the pan. Roast for another 5 minutes or so until the seeds are golden.
Tip: Use parchment paper on the baking pan to decrease the mess and sticking.
Pumpkin Seed Recipe Variations We Love
- If you want a “sweet and salty” pumpkin seeds, sprinkle a very light dusting of brown sugar and cinnamon.
- For a more unexpected flavor for pumpkin seeds use spices like curry powder, chili powder, pepper, smoked paprika, cumin on them.
- Substitute butter for the olive oil and toss with parmesan cheese after the pumpkin seeds are baked.
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Wash your seeds to remove the remaining pulp. Pat them dry.
- Spray your pan with olive oil, spray the seeds with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- It is so easy my 4 year old makes it by herself!
- Place them in the oven at 200 degrees. Cook for about 5 minuets, stir them so they don’t stick to the pan. Roast for another 5 ish minuets, till the seeds are golden.
If you want a “sweet and salty” version, sprinkle a very light dusting of brown sugar on them.
Pumpkin Seed Kitchen Science Activity
To add an educational element to our snack preparation, we looked at the seeds with magnifying glasses, it was fun to find the “embryo” in the seeds.
We broke open the shell to a couple of seeds and saw the inside of the seed where a baby pumpkin plant was just beginning to think about growing.
We talked about how the pulp was the plant “food” and as the pumpkin rots, the pulp of the pumpkin helps give the seed nourishment as it germinates and grows.
More Pumpkin Food Ideas from Kids Activities Blog
- I love all the healthy ways to cook pumpkin! I wish it were pumpkin season all year!
- Start a morning with pumpkin pancakes and thank me, later!
- If your family has a sweet tooth, like mine, try some of these pumpkin dessert recipes – you’ll love them!
- You can make the most delicious pumpkin spice mix at home!
- Make your own Harry Potter pumpkin juice recipe…yum!
- Mmmmm…pumpkin bars are my fav.
- Skip the lines at the coffee shop and make your own homemade pumpkin spice frappe!
- Pumpkin chocolate chip cookies are a fall favorite.
- Quesadillas in the shape of jack o lanterns are a fun lunch idea!
- These pumpkin recipes are perfect for fall!
How did your roasted pumpkin seeds turn out?