Compound Words Activities For Preschoolers
Do you have young readers at home? Are you looking for a great activity to help children with their understanding of compound words? You’re in the right place! We have 19 compound words activities for preschoolers that are so much fun.
19 Fun Compound Word Activities
Before we begin, it’s important to know the definition of compound words. In the English language, compound words are two small words that are put together to form a different word. Compound words are unique because they have their own meaning, even though each word has different meanings on its own. Some examples are sea + shell = seashell sea + shore = seashore.
There are three different types of compound words:
- Closed compound words: These words are formed when two different words combine to form a new single word, like basket + ball = basketball.
- Open compound words: Words that are created when a modifying adjective is added to a noun to create a new compound word that is also a noun, like ice + cream = ice cream.
- Hyphenated compound words: Words that are joined together by a hyphen in between, like sister-in-law.
For younger kids, learning how to differentiate and separate compound words is important to help consolidate ideas in their brains. For older kids, compound words are a great way to reinforce the parts of a sentence and how they work together.
Here are 19 compound words worksheets and activities for young learners to learn a new skill in a fun way. Enjoy!
1. Free Compound Words Pack
Download and print these compound words cards and use them for different games to play and learn with! From This Reading Mama.
2. Free Printable Compound Word Puzzles
These free printable compound word puzzles are the perfect way to add fun activities to your classes. Students will have so much fun playing these games that they won’t even realize they are learning. From Sara J Creations.
3. Learning Compound Words with Blocks
Learning about compound words is fun with this game using blocks! This is a fun educational activity to make learning fun with first graders and 2nd graders. From 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
4. Apple Compound Words Worksheets
Print the compound word worksheets pdf file, and you are ready to play and learn with compound word activities. From 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
5. Compound Words Worksheets and Clip Cards Activity
Practice compound words for kids with this pack of 2 different compound word pictures ideas for kids. From 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
6. Free Compound Word Puzzles
These picture-only compound word puzzles are a memorable way to show how two words can be combined to make a brand new word. From Playdough To Plato.
7. Compound Words Matching Activity
Download and print this easy game! A matching rainbow for each compound word lists the two words that make up the compound word. It’s super fun! From Sara J Creations.
8. Compound Word Puzzles
These compound word puzzles are perfect for early readers who are working on that strategy or learning more about compound words. They are perfect for early reading fun. From The Kindergarten Connection.
9. FREE Printable Ice Cream Compound Words Activity
Kids will love this fun using the free ice cream printable for this ice cream themed compound words activity. Pro tip: Laminate it for durability! From 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
10. Compound Words Activities
You’ll find both printable and digital activities for compound words here. This pack includes syllable counting, spelling, matching games, and other fun activities. From Smitten With First.
11. Spring Compound Words
Download and print this game which involves matching up two word-parts to form a compound word. From Ms Crafty Nyla.
12. Fun Exercises for Compound Words
Fun exercises for compound words can make learning about compound words enjoyable and improve your students’ vocabulary. From Education Your Dictionary.
13. Compound Words for Kids – Interesting List of 200+ Words
Check out this very comprehensive list of compound words to help your little ones master longer words as well as smaller words. From Play Osmo.
14. Compound Words Activity for Preschoolers
This language activity from Carrots Are Orange is great because pre-readers can participate in the activity by finding the puzzle pieces that fit. Just download and print!
15. Compound Words For Kids: Tips And Activities
Here are different ways to learn what compound words are, how preschoolers can identify them in a sentence, and some fun activities for your visual learner to practice. From Homer Blog.
16. Compound Words Worksheets-For Kindergarten With Pictures Learn & Trace
Help your preschooler learn compound words and phrases with these printables. They include a picture of the compound word to make it easier to learn. From Moms Equation.
17. Helpful Ways to Learn About Compound Words
These compound word printables are perfect for preschool and kindergarten. It’s very simple: have your student look at the two pictures, name each picture, and say the words together to discover the new word. From Primarily Learning.
18. Compound Words Activity for Google Slides and Seesaw
Use this compound words activity in Google Slides or Seesaw for fun literacy learning and word work instruction while students learn online. From Fun Learning For Kids.
19. Compound Words for Kids
Download an interactive game that has more than 30 compound word pictures. If you’re a preschool teacher, this is great for you as kids do not need to know how to read! From Little Ladoo.
Want more worksheets for your preschooler? Here are our favorites from Kids Activities Blog:
- These reading comprehension worksheets are great for preschoolers and kindergarteners.
- Download this preschool reading log to encourage reading from an early age.
- There are a lot of fun free reading games the whole family can play together!
- If your kid is just getting into reading be sure to check these beginners reading activities.
- We have so many great sight word activities!
What was your favorite compound words activity for preschoolers?