Today we are excited about our DIY Glue Batik T-Shirt project is such an easy and fun idea for kids of all ages (grown-ups too!). This fun summer t-shirt craft is perfect to make with both little kids and teenagers alike. My 8 and 11 year old kids had a blast making these homemade batik shirts. If your kid is old enough to draw a straight line, then they can make this t-shirt craft!
Glue Batik Shirt Technique
The cool thing about this Glue technique for making batik t-shirts is that you can customize the design to whatever you desire. This could be a really fun activity for a group like a family traveling together, a special occasion or holiday and even a slumber party.
This article contains affiliate links.
What Glue Works for Batik
The key to making a DIY Glue Batik T-Shirt is Elmer’s Blue Gel Glue. You MUST use this glue in this t-shirt project for it to turn out right. You will also probably need to set aside two days to make this batik shirt, because you’ll need the blue gel glue to dry completely before dying it in the color of your choice.
What Shirt Works for Glue Batik Technique
100% white cotton works best when selecting a t-shirt to use so the dye will set properly. It’s also a great idea to only let adults or mature older children do the dying process. This would be a fun shirt to make during a party or sleepover with a bunch of kids.
Glue Batik Shirt Craft Supplies
- 100% cotton white t-shirt – kids shirts can be found here & women’s shirts here & men’s shirts here
- 1 package RIT dye
- 1 gallon very hot water
- 1/4 cup salt
- Elmer’s blue gel glue (NO substitutions!)
- Spray bottle with plain water
- Foam board or something waterproof that you can slide your shirt over
First, slide your white shirt over something waterproof such as a tote lid. Alternatively, you can use foam board.
Spray front of shirt with water so it is wet.
Using Elmer’s blue gel glue draw a design of your liking. Some ideas a shapes, zig-zags, and quotes. Allow to dry completely–this may take as long as 24 hours.
Remove shirt from foam board or waterproof barrier.
Follow the instructions on your RIT dye package. Ours called for 1 gallon of very hot water mixed with 1/4 cup of salt and the dye package.
We added our shirt to this mixture, stirred to completely soak shirt in dye, then allowed to sit for 30 minutes in the dye.
Rinse with cold water.
Continue rinsing until the water no longer is colored.
Run in washing machine on cold cycle and then dry thoroughly in dryer. Enjoy your new custom DIY Glue Batik T-Shirt!
More Fun Shirts You Can Make from Kids Activities Blog
- We have so many ideas for 100 days of school shirts!
- Make your own Minecraft t shirt
- How to stamp a shirt with this fun homemade t-shirt project
- We love these 4th of July tie dye shirts that could be modified for other holidays or every day.
- DIY bleach shirt technique that kids can help make.
- Make a DIY shirt stencil or a fabric stencil for making t-shirts
- Turn one of our 300+ coloring pages for kids into a t-shirt design from coloring page.
- Check out these kids Christmas shirts ideas.
How did your batik shirt turn out? What color of dye did you use?