This Mayan Calendar Interpretation Says The End of The World Is This Week. Here’s What We Know.
Considering everything that has happened in 2020 so far, would we really be surprised if the world ended? One person theorized that that’s exactly what’s going to happen on June 21, because a previous Mayan calendar calculation is wrong.
Did the Mayan calendar predict the end of the world will be June 21, 2020?
Every few years there seems to be some ‘new’ theory that the world is going to end. Then the day comes and goes, and life goes on. But social media has been all over with this latest conspiracy theory that says the apocalypse is coming in June 2020. Probably because after a pandemic, murder hornets, and the like, anything seems in the realm of possibility.
But is there any science or math to back this theory up? Not really.
Earlier this month, Paolo Tagaloguin — a Fulbright scholar and a scientist — joked around on Twitter, claiming:
“Following the Julian Calendar, we are technically in 2012… the number of days lost in a year due to the shift into Gregorian Calendar is 11 days… For 268 years using the Gregorian Calendar (1752-2020) times 11 days = 2,948 days. 2,948 days / 365 days (per year) = 8 years.”
So, according to this, the world didn’t end on December 21, 2012 as previously thought, because the math was wrong. But Tagaloguin was just joking around, and after his tweet was taken seriously, he removed the tweet.
Still, the damage was done. Others have done the math and come to the same conclusion: June 21, 2020 is the end of the world. But still others — including NASA — have shared their two cents and said that there’s no reason to believe the apocalypse is near.
But hold up. Is the end of the world what the Mayans were really calculating in the first place? It’s not likely. Rather, they have cycles, just as our current calendar has a cycle that ends in December.
The Mayan calendar also has the end of one calendar and the beginning of what they called a ‘new cycle of humanity’ — not the apocalypse. And after everything that’s happened in 2020 already? I think we can all agree that a new cycle of humanity is more than welcome.
MORE DINOSAUR IDEAS FROM KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG
- For all kinds of dinosaur ideas, these 50 Dinosaur Crafts & Activities will have something for every kids you know.
- This Printable Dinosaur Coloring Poster is perfect for rainy days.
- Decorate your kid’s bedrooms with glow-in-the-dark dinosaur wall decals.
- Did you know that the spinosaurus is the first known swimming dinosaur?
- Make Dinosaur Surprise Eggs and discover what dinosaurs are hiding inside.
- This Dinosaur Dig Sensory Bin are so much fun for kids who like dig or for aspiring paleontologists.
- Did you know experts say kids who are obsessed with dinosaurs are smarter?
- If it’s birthday season, here’s how to plan a dinosaur themed birthday party.
- Make Jurassic waffles for breakfast with a mini dinosaur waffle maker!
- This dad built the most amazing dinosaur play set for his kids in his backyard.