Let’s make an egg carton caterpillar craft with kids! This easy egg carton caterpillar craft for preschool-aged kids is also a wonderful addition to studying the life cycle of butterflies or the perfect craft for reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar! Kids of all ages will love this egg carton caterpillar which is literally what egg cartons were made for…right? Make this caterpillar craft at home or in the classroom.
How to make an egg carton caterpillar craft
This Easy Preschool Caterpillar Craft is so simple and one of my childhood favorites. This craft was able to be done almost completely without adult “interference” by my (just about) 3 year old.
You probably have all of the supplies you need at home making this an inexpensive craft to make.
This article contains affiliate links.
Supplies needed to make an egg carton caterpillar
- Egg carton (the cardboard kind is easier to decorate) 1 carton = 2 caterpillars
- Pipe cleaner (1/2 per caterpillar)
- Paint, markers or stickers to decorate
- Googly eyes
Instructions for making an egg carton caterpillar
Watch Our Quick Video Tutorial for this Caterpillar Craft
Cut egg carton length-wise so you get one long bumpy caterpillar body.
How to cut an egg carton tip: I found it easiest to cut it using a combo of a sharp serrated knife and scissors.
Paint or color the body of the caterpillar. Affix facial features (or draw them on). Poke two holes in the top of the head. Wrap the pipe cleaners around each other, bend them into shape, and poke them through the egg carton.
Our finished egg carton caterpillar craft
- • Egg carton (the cardboard kind is easier to decorate) 1 carton = 2 caterpillars
- • Pipe cleaner (1/2 per caterpillar)
- • Paint, markers or stickers to decorate
- • Googly eyes
- • Scissors
- • Glue
- Cut egg carton length-wise so you get one long bumpy
- Paint or color the body of the caterpillar.
- Affix facial features (or draw them on).
- Wrap the pipe cleaners around each other, bend them into shape, and poke them
through the egg carton.
More caterpillar crafts from Kids Activities Blog
- Caterpillar magnets
- C is for caterpillar, letter C craft
- Pom pom caterpillars
- Yarn-wrapped craft stick caterpillars
- 30 Very Hungry Caterpillar activities for kids
- DIY Very Hungry Caterpillar costume
- Hey, check out these egg carton crafts for kids!
- Easy Very Hungry Caterpillar craft
- Check out this cork paint crafts. You can make all sorts of cute little bugs like bees, ladybugs, caterpillars, and more!
More Learning Ideas Based on Caterpillar Craft
- Talk about the life cycle of the caterpillar in as much detail as is appropriate.
- Caterpillar starts with C! We have so many letter c crafts for kids.
- Read the classic: The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle or as a really fresh, fun alternative Look & See: The Green Caterpillar <–I love the cute rhymes and involvement of lots of other insects in this book. It also reviews colors.
- Informational books like Caterpillars and Butterflies or Lift the Flap Bugs & Butterflies can be a lot of fun too!
Have you made our egg carton caterpillar craft with your kids? We would love to know how it turned out.