This Easy Preschool Caterpillar Craft is so simple and one of my childhood favorites. This craft was able to be done almost completely without adult “interference” by my (just about) 3 year old.
What You Need For This Easy Preschool Caterpillar Craft:
- egg carton (the cardboard kind is easier to decorate) 1 carton = 2 caterpillars
- pipe cleaner (1/2 per caterpillar)
- paint, markers or stickers to decorate
- googly eyes
Cut egg carton length wise so you get one long bumpy caterpillar body. I found it easiest to cut using a combo of sharp serrated knife and scissors.
Paint or colour the body of the caterpillar. Affix facial features (or draw them on). Poke two holes in the top of the head. Loop a half pipe cleaner through the holes and bend into shape.
– Talk about the life cycle of the caterpillar in as much detail as is appropriate. For a great review check this out.
– OR Watch this neat 3 min video using real caterpillar to butterfly footage!
– Read the classic: The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle or as a really fresh, fun alternative Look & See: The Green Caterpillar (I love the cute rhymes and involvement of lots of other insects in this book. It also reviews colors)
This activity is part of our insect/bug learning unit. For more activities click the link below: