If you’ve purchased premade essential oil blends, you might think that you can use them without worrying. However, this isn’t necessarily true. Here are some safety considerations to think about before using premade essential oil blends.
This article contains affiliate links.
Understanding Safety of Premade Essential Oil Blends
Although using essential oils is a great way to gain many health benefits, some essential oil combinations should be used with care. The first thing before using a new blend is to read its safety information. The next step is the fun part — using them for their positive effects!
Before trying new products, we recommend seeking medical advice to make sure you won’t get any adverse reactions. Besides, it’s really important to use reliable essential oil diffusers and high quality pure essential oils (that doesn’t mean you have to get only expensive essential oils, just find a perfect balance between high quality and price.)
Our favorite oils are from Young Living as they make our home smell great (clary sage is my favorite way to get some fresh air scent in the house), but also bring positive energy into the living room and other different rooms. And you only really need a small amount, which makes them last for a long time.
The benefits of essential oils are awesome. Some essential oil recipes help support the immune system, while others offer therapeutic effects or help clear breathing during the winter months. Whether you want to make your own blend or already have premade blends, here’s what you need to know before using them:
Find Out What’s in the Blend
The best way to use different oils together is to make sure you read the ingredients before using any premade essential oil blend. You might decide to purchase it because it’s intended for relaxation or pain relief, but that doesn’t mean that you know exactly what you’re getting.
There are a couple of things you should know before trying essential oil blending. Read the list of essential oils in the blend and be sure to research them fully before using them.
Some of the things you’ll want to find out about them include:
- Can the essential oils in the blend be applied topically? Do they cause skin irritation?
- Are the essential oils safe for consumption?
- Is it safe to apply the essential oils before going out in the sun or will they cause sunburn or skin discoloration?
- Are the essential oils in the blend safe to add to your bath water?
- Will these essential oils interact with any of your medications?
- Are the essential oils safe to use during pregnancy?
- Can the essential oils be used by small children or babies?
Learning more about each individual essential oil in the blend can help you make the most informed decisions on how to use it.
There are so many different blends out there, so you will also want to make sure that the premade essential oil blend you’re thinking of purchasing is high-quality. It should be made from 100% pure essential oils to ensure that you aren’t getting any fillers. This is essential to getting the most benefit from your essential oils.
Essential oils are used for many different things, from therapeutic purposes to cooking. If you are thinking about using a premade essential oil blend for cooking purposes, make sure that the blend you are purchasing is Food Grade. This means that it is approved by the FDA for consumption.
REMEMBER TO USE A CARRIER OIL
It’s important to remember you shouldn’t ever use undiluted essential oils. A lot of people assume that they don’t need to dilute a premade essential oil blend. Since it’s already been preblended, you might assume that it’s already been diluted, but this isn’t the case. You will still need to dilute the premade essential oil blend with a carrier oil, such as coconut oil, olive oil or jojoba oil.
These are just some of the safety concerns of premade essential oil blends that you should be aware of. If you have any questions about the safety of the essential oils you are considering, be sure to talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
LOOKING FOR MORE ESSENTIAL OILS TIPS?
- Take care of your nails with this DIY cuticle cream! Your cuticles need love too.
- Enjoy a relaxing bath with these DIY Lemonade Bath Salts!
- Are you suffering from tummy troubles? Try these essential oils for tummy troubles.
- Traveling this summer? Here are the most useful essential oils and best carrier oils for sunburn.
- Make your own essential oil toothpaste and enjoy the benefits of essential oils in your oral care!
Did you know this information about essential oil blends?