10 Ways to Use Essential Oils with Kids
Today we are sharing our favorite ways to use essential oils for kids – including young children, older children, and the whole family! Essential oils have great benefits: they may improve the nervous system, help minimize some health issues, immune support, and help us get better sleep, among many other things.
Essential oils. Have you heard of them?
They’ve been life-changing for my family! While I thought I would use essential oils to make sugar scrubs, to clean around the house, and to make play dough, I had no idea how much I would use essential oils as an extra tool in my parenting tool belt (so to speak).
Since we started using essential oils, my kids won’t go to bed without lavender oil. It’s amazing how much we’ve come to rely on our oils throughout the day. That’s why I’m thrilled to share these simple ways I use essential oils with my kids every day!
If you are interested in some information about how to dilute essential oils, please check this out.
Note that this information is not medical advice and the use of essential oils, although they come with health benefits, are not medicine and you should always consult your doctor before incorporating oils into a regular healthcare regimen, especially if you have medical conditions. Make sure to read the instructions and practice essential oil safety to prevent adverse reactions and side effects and keep them out of reach of children.
This post contains affiliate/distributor links.
What are the benefits of aromatherapy?
Essential oils are plant extracts, made by steaming or pressing various parts of a plant to capture the compounds that produce fragrance. This fragrance is used in aromatherapy – aromatherapy is the practice of using essential oils for therapeutic benefit, usually with an aromatherapy diffuser but there are different ways to use these oils.
Although they are not medicinal, pure essential oils are a natural alternative to treat different conditions and enhance the natural benefits found in aromatic oils. The important thing is knowing which essential oils to use (we prefer Young Living as they have the best high-quality essential oil blend) and how many drops of the oil to use either on topical use or in an essential oil diffuser.
Essential oils are a great way to help with skin irritations, sore throats, to soften the bottom of the feet, relieve bug bites, and more. Below we will share with you our favorite ideas to use essential oils with the entire family.
Remember: One drop goes a long way!
What are the best essential oils?
As you may know, there is a myriad of different oils – and each of them has great benefits! These are our favorites and what they do:
- Eucalyptus Radiata essential oil contains eucalyptol, which provides a refreshing breathing experience with a camphoraceous aroma that refreshes any stuffy environment.
- Melissa essential oil has a fresh, lemony-herbal aroma that helps to create a calm and peaceful atmosphere
- Roman Chamomile essential oil has a tranquil aroma that helps you unwind during your nighttime routine. Applied topically, it nourishes and moisturizes the skin, making it a great addition to your favorite lotion or facial moisturizer. Roman Chamomile is often used in bath and body care products for children and babies.
- Orange essential oil has a bright, uplifting aroma that cleanses and refreshes the air when diffused and effectively removes adhesives and residues to clean surfaces. When taken internally, it provides digestive and immune support.
- Cinnamon Bark essential oil has a warm, spicy aroma that cleanses the air and creates a warming sensation on the skin when used with massage. When taken internally, it contains antioxidants and may provide immune and general wellness support.
- Geranium essential oil is commonly used in perfumes for its uplifting aroma, and it may reduce the appearance of blemishes and fine lines when applied topically.
10 Ways to Use Essential Oils with Young Kids
1.) Diffuse lavender oil before bedtime. We all know how important routine is before bedtime, but this added step engages kids’ sense of smell, and helps kids get ready for sleep.
2.) Send your kids off to school with a little peppermint on their wrists. It is such a happy smell and is a great jump start to the day! It is easy to apply in a roller ball container, with a carrier oil!
3.) Clean and dust their bedrooms with a DIY lemon spray. It will leave the space smelling crisp and clean.
4.) Use PanAway to rub on muscles after a long day of play or sports practice. This oil is so soothing! This is one that you will want to apply in small quantities with kids – I use a carrier oil.
More Ways to Use Essential Oils with Kids
5.) Supporting a calm environment is essential with kids! We rub a dab of Lavender on the back of their necks, have them take some deep breaths while we count to five and then start playing again. This little “break” helps me calm down, too!
6.) Every kid has some type of fear that they face, and my kids are no exception. We rub Peace & Calming essential oil on my kid’s ears just above the ear lobe to help soothe them!
7.) Diffuse, diffuse, diffuse. My kids love taking turns deciding on which oil to diffuse into the air. We have found several oils that make us happy like lemon and peppermint!
8.) Make a monster spray for kids to keep next to their bed when they get spooked at night. Just use a spray bottle with water and their favorite oil.
9.) I diffuse Purification next to where I change my son’s diapers to eliminate the smell. How does this help my parenting? You’d be amazed at how much happier you can be when you and your house aren’t smelling like a dirty diaper all day long… just saying.
10.) At bath time, my kids love adding an essential oil to the water. We like Lavender because it is such a calming oil that seems fitting before bedtime.
Do essential oils expire?
Most essential oils have a shelf life, but this can vary according to the type of oil. In general, essential oils’ shelf life lasts between 1-2 years, although some may last up to 8 years – but they are the minority.
An excellent way to make sure your essential oils will last for a long time is by following these ideas (most of them are common sense!):
- Store your essential oils in a cool, dry and safe place, like a kitchen cabinet.
- Keep your oils away from direct sunlight or any other light source.
- Use smaller containers to store your oils.
- Use dark-colored glass containers.
WANT MORE ESSENTIAL OIL TIPS? CHECK THESE IDEAS OUT FROM KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG:
- This sugar scrub for kids uses essential oils to add some extra benefits.
- Are you looking for the best essential oil for shoe odor? Here’s the answer!
- Here are some essential oil crafts for kids!
- And these are our favorite essential oil tips and tricks that you need to try.
- Learn how to use essential oils in bath in a safe way.
- We love using essential oils to help with focus and concentration.
What was your favorite way to use essential oils? Did we miss anything? Let us know in the comments!