This Frozen Fruit Smoothie is perfect for anyone in your home, including a picky eater! The only “prep work” is cutting and freezing the main ingredients, so you can pull them out when you’re ready to make your smoothie. It’s the perfect meal or snack!
This recipe was first shared on Family Food Live with Holly & Chris!
This Frozen Fruit Smoothie starts with freezing most of your ingredients in a plastic bag.So when you are ready to eat it, you just pull out the bag and pour it into your blender. And this recipe offers many alternatives. You can add whatever fruit you enjoy
How To Make A Smoothie With Frozen Fruit
- 1 cup Spinach
- 1/2 Banana, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup Plain Yogurt, put into ice cube trays and frozen
- 1 cup mixed Frozen Fruit
- 1 cup Milk
- First put yogurt in an ice cube tray to freeze
- Add frozen yogurt, mixed frozen fruit, banana slices and spinach in plastic bag, put in freezer
- When ready for smoothie, add milk and frozen smoothie pack to blender
- Serve cold
Are Frozen Fruit Smoothies Healthy?
This post contains affiliate links.
Just like any other food, fruit smoothies have the option of being healthy, or not as healthy, depending on the ingredients used. If you add yogurt, using plain yogurt is healthier than a flavored yogurt that has a higher amount of sugar. The same thing goes for any type of milk you might use: dairy, rice, almond, etc. If you choose a flavored option, such as vanilla, the sugar count increases and it’s not as healthy. When you buy frozen fruit, make sure there is no added sugar.
Why “Frozen Fruit” In Smoothies?
Frozen fruit adds some texture to your smoothie and thickens it. After blending your smoothie, if the consistency is too runny, either add some more frozen fruit (or ice cubes, if you’re counting calories) to thicken it up.
Don’t feel limited by fruit, either! I have added avocado into my fruit smoothies and it adds a lovely creaminess to the texture, as well as healthy fats! I have also added cucumbers, zucchini, celery, a handful or two of leafy greens… It’s fun to experiment, and usually, you can’t even taste the veggies! If anything, it just adds a crisp, fresh “green” taste to the mix!
How Long Can Frozen Smoothies Last?
In order to gain the maximum nutritional benefit, I would say 48 hours, tops. One of my favorite things to do, is make smoothies the night before I need them, and freeze them in a mason jar. As soon as my alarm goes off in the morning, I pull it out of the freezer and let it thaw while I get ready for the day. No stress, and no prep during the weekday mornings!
Here are a few of our favorite products from Family Food Live:
- Cuisinart 2 Quart Ice Cream Maker
- Victorinox Fibrox Straight Edge Chef’s Knife, 8-Inch
- Lemon Squeezer
- Mason Jars
- Apple Corer
- Popcorn Bowl
- MaxiMatic double burner hot plate
- Glass Egg carton
- Black & Decker 4 slice toaster
- Hamilton Beach Hand Mixer
- Cuisinart 8-cup Food Processor
- Meat Mallet
- Zoku Quick Pop Maker
- Ice Cream or Cookie Scooper
- Norpro Butter Keeper
- 3-Piece Veggie Peeler
Looking For More Healthy Recipes?
Check these out:
- Easy Healthy Recipes Using the #1 Technique For Vegetables That Kids Love
- 5 Simple and Healthy Wrap Recipes
- 5 Kid-Loving Mom Approved Yogurt Recipes
Comment below with your favorite smoothie recipes!