Today we are making the sweetest paper plate craft! This paper plate craft is a mother bird with her baby birds sitting in a nest.
This paper plate nest craft that works well for kids of all ages, even the younger kids if they have help or some preparation of materials ahead of time.
We created this mother and baby bird paper plate craft as blue birds, but you could customize it for whatever bird species fits your crafting style.
This post includes affiliate links.
Momma and Baby Birds in a Nest Paper Plate Craft
We are showing you steps to create a detailed mother blue bird and her two baby bird chicks sitting in a nest made of a paper plate. If you are doing this craft with younger kids, you may want to simplify the steps a little or pre-cut the shapes needed. With older kids, hand them the supplies and let their imaginations go wild. You never know what they will come up with!
- Paper plate
- twine or yarn
- hole punch
- blue, white, orange craft foam
- craft feathers
- googly eyes
Step 1 – Create the Nest
Cut the paper plate in half.
Use the hole punch to make random holes all over the plate.
Weave the twine through the holes. This gives the appearance of twigs and grass in a bird’s nest!
Step 2 – Create the Birds
Cut the following pieces from the craft foam
- 1 large blue circle, 3 medium blue circles and 2 small blue circles – these will create the bird bodies and bird heads of the mother bird and two baby birds
- 3 orange triangles – these will be used for the bird beaks (you can cut the two baby bird beaks in 1/2)
- 1 medium white circle -this will be the detail on the belly of the mother bird
Create the Mother Bird
Glue the white circle onto the large blue circle. This is the momma bluebird’s body. Glue a medium circle onto these for the head.
Add eyes and beak.
Create the Baby Birds
Assemble the 2 baby bluebirds by gluing a small blue circle (head) onto the medium circles (body) then add the eyes and beak.
Arrange the heads so they look upward and the orange triangle can be cut in half to give the impression that the little baby bird’s mouths are open ready for mom.
Step 3 – Add Bird Details
Finish with some craft feather wings and glue to the paper plate nest!
Add to the learning when making this craft by reading some books that discuss how birds build nests, how baby birds hatch, how momma birds feed the babies and how they learn to fly!
- Paper plate
- Twine or yarn
- Craft foam - we used blue, white and orange
- Craft feathers
- Googly eyes
- Hole punch
- Create the bird nest by cutting the paper plate in half and punching random holes around the edge of the plate. Weave the twine through the holes to give the appearance of twigs in the nest.
- Cut the foam pieces that will create the birds out of blue foam - 1 large circle, 3 medium circles and 2 small circles.
- Cut the foam pieces that will create the birds out of orange foam - 3 small triangles (then cut 2 of the triangles in 1/2 which will be the baby bird's mouths).
- Cut one medium sized circle out of white craft foam.
- Assemble the mother bird by gluing the white circle onto the large blue circle for her body, add a medium blue circle as her head, the large orange triangle, googly eyes and some feathers.
- Assemble the baby birds by gluing the small blue circles to the medium blue circles and adding googly eyes and the beaks in an open position. Add feathers.
- Glue the three birds into the nest.
More Bird Crafts from Kids Activities Blog
- This paper plate bird craft has moveable wings – see picture above.
- This bird craft is also created out of a paper plate but is almost bird art!
- Make this easy nest making craft with kids.
- Follow along in this easy step by step tutorial on how to draw a bird.
- Make a Toilet Paper Roll bird craft!
- Super cute bird coloring pages you can download & print.
- This cute preschool shapes craft creates the cutest birds!
- P is for Parrot craft
- N is for Nest craft
Did your kids enjoy this fun mother bird and baby bird in a nest paper plate craft?