One of my favorite ways to make the house smell like Christmas is making scented pinecones. It’s become a tradition to make them every year and is an easy holiday craft for kids.
DIY Scented Pinecones
They smell so good and of course, are so pretty! You can place them in holiday canisters, bowls, glass hurricane jars, or really anywhere throughout the house.
This article contains affiliate links.
- Pinecones – You can buy pinecones from your local craft store or pick them up outside
- Holiday scented essential oils
- Glass spray bottle with water
- (Optional) Glitter and glue or glitter glue – you can buy pinecones coated in glitter if you want to skip this step.
- (Optional) Ribbon to hang on the Christmas tree or elsewhere
Directions to Make Homemade Scented Pine Cones
Clean off the pine cones from any outside debris.
(Optional) Add glitter with glue or use glitter glue to add a little sparkle to the ends of the pine cone.
To scent them, use a small glass spritzer bottle and add 10 drops of essential oil for every 1 oz of water.
Shake it up and then spray the pinecone. You can adjust the amount of oil per water ratio as you like, depending on how strong you’d like it to be.
If you would like to make this an easy homemade ornament craft, then simply add a little ribbon and hang it on your tree. These also look great and smell great hanging in your room or windows.
Our Favorite Christmas Essential Oil
For this I used Young Living’s Christmas Spirit essential oil because it is a blend of orange, cinnamon and spruce. If you’re looking for the perfect Christmas-y oil, this is it.
Related: How your fake tree can have that Christmas tree smell
More Homemade Ornaments from Kids Activities Blog
There are so many amazing homemade ornaments you can make with your kids this Christmas. If you need even more inspiration try these:
- Clear ornament ideas — what to fill those plastic and glass balls!
- Super fun ornament decorating ideas.
- Kid-made easy painted clear ornaments art.
- Pipe cleaner Christmas crafts including the cutest ornaments!
- Christmas ornament crafts for kids <–BIG LIST
- Make the coolest natural ornaments with outdoor found objects
- FREE Printable Kids Christmas Ornaments
- Salt dough handprint ornaments you can make – this one is a nativity scene.
- Make your own ugly sweater ornament perfect for your Christmas tree!
Related: The best Christmas crafts for kids! <–Over 250 to choose from.