It’s not easy getting kids to eat healthy or even what we want them to half the time. Being a parent means you have to get creative with food and make eating a fun experience for your child. One thing every kid (including my boys) seems to love is Macaroni and Cheese, and I mean who doesn’t? It’s delicious!
So I began to think how I could take something my kids love and really turn it into something that was nutritious for them too. Then it came to me…Loaded Mac and Cheese Muffins! These are made with Horizon Organic products which is the brand we have partnered with today to share this delicious recipe with you so I sure hope you will give them a try.
Supplies Needed to Loaded Make Mac and Cheese Muffins:
- 2 Boxes of Horizon Classic Macaroni and Mild Cheddar Cheese (plus ingredients needed to make it)
- 1 Package of Horizon Organic Cheese Cheese Shreds
- Fresh Broccoli Crowns, chopped
- 1 Package of Diced Ham
- 1 Egg
- Muffin Pan
- Olive Oil Non-Stick Cooking Spray
How to Make Mac and Cheese Muffins:
- Cook the macaroni according to the directions on the box. In the meantime, chop up your fresh broccoli crowns.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and prepare your muffin pan by spraying each cavity with non-stick cooking spray.
- During the last 2 minutes of the macaroni cooking, add the broccoli crowns and diced ham to the water to boil.
- Remove from heat and strain the entire pan.
- Add the remaining ingredients for the mac and cheese. Stir well.
- Add in 1 cup of the shredded cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.
- Add in the egg (this helps bind the mixture together).
- Use a spoon to place the mixture into each muffin tin cavity filling it entirely.
- Bake 8-10 minutes until the tops are golden brown. Note: you can also top each muffin with the remaining cheese and place back into oven for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool a few minutes before serving.
Getting Creative with Healthy Food
Making food that is both delicious and nutritious for our children (including those big ones you are married to) can be a challenge. You want to incorporate as many healthy ingredients as possible without sacrificing taste. You also want to be able to do it without breaking the bank.
With Horizon Organic, you don’t have to sacrifice that taste or the money in your wallet. Their products are made with wholesome ingredients and do not contain any artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. Just natural goodness you and your family will love. Plus all of their products are affordable making it even easier to eat healthy.
With these loaded mac and cheese muffins, I used a variety of Horizon products including their classic mac and cheese shreds. These products (along with a few others) made it easy for me to put a twist on a tradition dish and make it healthier. I was able to add in some vegetables and protein without my kids fighting me on it. It was quick, simple, and turned out absolutely delicious.
This conversation is sponsored by Horizon. The opinions and text are all mine.