Homemade Lotion Balls
Today we have a fun recipe for Shea butter lotion balls for you. We love making our own lotion with natural ingredients!
We also love essential oils which is the main ingredient of this DIY lotion recipe. This lotion is perfect for dry chapped skin and will keep you moisturized for a long time!
You know how annoying using a pump bottle with liquid lotion can be? That’s why we love these lotion balls! It’s surprisingly easy to make and your friends will be amazed that you are able to make lotion balls from home!
Best essential oils and carrier liquid oil for a natural homemade lotion
Today we are making an easy homemade lotion with basic ingredients that you either already have at home or can get at the nearest Dollar Store.
The base recipe is very simple and you can tweak it to fit your specific needs. We also love that it’s made with fully natural products, which makes it perfect for people with sensitive skin!
Depending on your skin type, you can use different oil carriers. For example, sweet almond oil, coconut oil, sunflower oil, and argan oil are perfect for dry skin. On the other hand, if you have oily skin, you might benefit from jojoba oil, tea tree, squalane, and marula oils. You can create your own oil mixture for your homemade lotion bars to use in different seasons.
When it comes to essential oils, you want to choose one that you love the smell of and will bring great benefits to your skin. Typically, anywhere between 10-20 drops of essential oil should be enough. You can mix different essential oils to treat different skin conditions, just make sure not to overdo them.
These are our favorite essential oils for our lotion bar recipe:
- Lavender essential oil: Lavender essential oil is the most universal oil and has a tranquil aroma that is soothing to the senses, as well as to the skin when applied topically.
- Melrose essential oil: Great for treating fungal infections, eczema, psoriasis, acne, rosacea, and other skin conditions.
- Roman Chamomile essential oil: It has a tranquil aroma that helps you unwind during your nighttime routine. It nourishes and moisturizes the skin, making it a great addition to your favorite lotion or facial moisturizer. It is great in bath and body care products for children and babies.
- Sacred Sandalwood essential oil: It has a grounding, calming aroma that helps enhance spiritual practices or meditation with increased awareness. It also promotes the appearance of youthful, glowing skin.
- Ylang Ylang essential oil: Traditionally known for its romantic appeal has a calming and balancing aroma for a smooth and happy heart. It also promotes the appearance of healthy-looking skin.
- Helichrysum essential oil: Rejuvenates skin, reducing the appearance of uneven skin texture and tone when applied topically, and is a favorite among athletes after intense workouts or playing on the field.
- Juniper essential oil: beautifies and tones the skin when applied topically, making it a great addition to lymphatic and post-workout massage oil blends.
- Tangerine essential oil: Citrus oils like tangerine are loved by children and adults alike, with its delightfully sweet aroma that can help create a happy, contented mindset.
You can add an extra dose of moisturization to the skin by mixing rose water with this recipe. Rose water gives a healthy glow to the skin and is good for boosting hydration. Vitamin E oil is also good as it’s a potent antioxidant and will leave your skin glowy and looking healthy at the same time.
As you can tell, with just some simple ingredients you’ll be able to recreate this homemade body lotion recipe any time you want to. You can change the essential oils for more “masculine” smelling oils in order to make an easy men’s lotion
This post contains affiliate links that support Kids Activities Blog.
HOMEMADE LOTION RECIPE
- 1 Pound Shea Butter (cocoa butter works just as well)
- 1 ounce 100% Beeswax
- 1/3 cup of Coconut Oil (you can use another carrier oil like Almond or olive oil for slightly different consistencies)
- 10-20 drops of Lavender oil & Melrose Oils (or essential oils of your preference)
- Vitamin E
- Optional: Double boiler
Note: If you don’t have a double boiler, you can do what we did and melt the pot of butter, oils, and wax in a nested pot. The larger pot has water and the inside pot holds the oils. This creates a similar effect as a double boiler as you add the ingredients to the bowl on top. Be careful to stir it regularly to prevent it from scorching.
Instructions to make homemade lotion balls – natural recipe
Place the shea butter and beeswax in the top section of your double boiler and melt. As these melt and begin to blend on their own, add the essential oils and Vitamin E.
Mix the ingredients well. The oils should become translucent. When this happens you can remove the boiler from the heat. Then let it cool.
Once the lotion loses the translucent “look” and begins to look more like butter stir it heavily with a wire whisk. You want it to be really creamy and whisking helps add air bubbles to the oils.
Make the lotion balls. Let the oil cool completely. We left it on the counter overnight. After it has set, the lotion should be hard. We used an ice cream scoop to scoop out balls of lotion. We put those into nifty little jars. So cute! And perfect for the diaper bag or backpack.
Now you have wonderful lotion balls to share with friends, use as gifts or keep in your bathroom to pamper yourself with after a long day! However you choose to use them, the soothing smells of the oils along with the smooth feel of your homemade lotion are sure to be thoroughly enjoyed!
Try different essential oil scents!
More DIY Ideas from Kids Activities Blog
- You can make a homemade perfume for kids with easy ingredients too!
- Make tinted lip gloss DIY to add to your homemade makeup collection.
- This is easy… candle dipping at home!
- Make DIY lip scrub…this is super easy too!
- Make your own chocolate lip balm
- Feel better with our special DIY essential oil Vapor Rub recipe.
- Here’s how to dilute peppermint oil and other essential oils for kids!