Spaghetti squash is delicious and in season right now. Oh, how I love cooking with this vegetable at my house!
Let me show you how simple it is to make this Spaghetti Squash Casserole recipe. (We love easy recipes like this at our house! Perfect for busy families!)
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 clove garlic. minced
- 2 T olive oil, divided in 1 T portions
- 2 zucchini
- 1 (15-16 oz) container of Ricotta cheese
- 1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce, standard size jar
- 6 slices Provolone cheese
- handful of fresh, clean basil leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper
Cut the spaghetti squash in half, length-wise.
Remove all the seeds from the inside. I use a spoon. Same process as a cantaloupe.
Take one tablespoon of olive oil and use it to sprinkle over the two spaghetti squash halves.
Use your hands to spread evenly all over the squash.
Crack some pepper over and it and sprinkle with some salt.
Place them face down on a cookie sheet (covered in parchment paper for easier cleanup).
Pop it in the oven at 350 ° for 45 minutes to an hour.
(Or, one at a time, place them face down on a plate in the microwave on high for 10-12 minutes.)
Once they are cooked, let them cool for 10-20 minutes before you turn them over.
Once cool, use a fork and run it through the vegetable. You will notice it is stringy like spaghetti. This is what you want.
Remove all of the spaghetti string-like squash using the fork. Place all of this in the bottom of a 9×13 casserole dish evenly distributed.
Dice up the two zucchini.
In a large skillet add the other one tablespoon of olive oil, the clove of minced garlic, a few cracks of pepper and some salt to taste. Toss in the zucchini.
Over medium heat, saute the zucchini. This will only take five or so minutes.
While that is going, in a large bowl combine the ricotta, Parmesan cheese and fresh chopped basil.
Mix well with a spoon.
Once the zucchini is done, add it to this bowl and carefully stir to combine the vegetable into the cheese mixture.
Spoon this ricotta mixture over the spaghetti squash.
Use the back of the spoon to spread it evenly over the squash.
Pour the jar of spaghetti sauce over the ricotta mixture. Distribute evenly.
Place the Provolone cheese slices on top of the sauce.
Bake in a 350 ° oven for 30 minutes.
Plate it up and serve with a fresh basil leaf, or two, on top and a side salad.
This stuff is delicious!
What is your favorite way to cook with spaghetti squash? Have you ever incorporated it as the main dish?
(Also, if you struggle with getting dinner on the table, I would love to help you! Check out my ebook that teaches you how to meal plan in five simple steps! It will change how you plan dinner at your house!)
MORE EASY CASSEROLE RECIPES FROM KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG
- Try our easy casserole recipes system to empty your pantry into an easy kid-friendly dinner meal.
- One of my family’s favorite casserole recipes is King Ranch chicken casserole…mmmmm!
- Try our easy chicken enchilada casserole recipe next time you want something new to try!
- Try our Mexican chicken casserole with rotel!
- Another family favorite meal is tortilla bake casserole.
- Grandma’s green bean casserole recipe is a must even if it isn’t a holiday meal.
- Need an easy solution? Check out our easy no bake tuna noodle casserole recipe!
- This easy breakfast casserole works later in the day too.
- Mmmmm…let’s make chicken noodle casserole!
- Here is a collection of 35 family casserole recipes that you will love.
- Check out all the casseroles in our easy dinner ideas for kids!
- We have the Best Acorn Squash Recipe!