These Kid-Friendly Jello Cookies recipe adds yummy flavor and bright colors to cookie dough! Not only are these jello cookies delicious, but they’re so cute! They say that you eat with your eyes first and the vibrant colors that you achieve with these cookies are beautiful.
A Tasty Edible Rainbow
Did you know a quick and easy cookie hack is adding a special ingredient to cookies? Jello powder! They will be such a hit with your little ones, that you won’t make these cookies just once and it might just become one of their favorite things. When I make snacks for my kids, especially treats, they love colors, textures, and even fun themes. It gets them excited to dive in and try a new recipe with me. This is the perfect cookie recipe for kids!
Related: Pistachio Pudding Cookies Recipe
These cookies are also a blast to make. When you separate the cookie dough to add the different jello packets, have your kids pick their favorite gelatin powder and mix it up. It gets them involved, and then they get to taste their creation after it bakes. Not to mention the smell of cookies in the oven is enough to get anyone excited! It’s a great rainy day activity for everyone to enjoy together.
How to Make This Recipe for Jello Cookies
This is a super simple recipe to prepare. After you make the cookie dough, all you have to do is separate it for each flavor of jello. This way you will have some jello sugar cookies of each color! We love this basic cookie recipe because it takes on new flavors very well.
Ingredients Needed to Make Jello Sugar Cookies
- Flour – all-purpose is best for these cookies
- Cream of tartar – This is needed to stabilize the egg whites and it helps the cookies rise in the oven when combined with baking soda.
- Baking soda
- Butter – Make sure it is softened before you start combining ingredients
- Granulated sugar – You will need a little bit extra to roll out the cookies
- Eggs – Let your eggs sit out on the counter and come to room temperature
- Vanilla extract
- Jello gelatin, you will need 2 tablespoons each – Choose any 4 flavors you like!
Instructions for Jello Cookies
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Prepare your baking sheets by adding parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. This will make it easy to get the cookies off of the pan after they’re baked.
Mix your dry ingredients; flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until fluffy.
Add the wet ingredients; eggs, milk, and vanilla to the large bowl with your butter and sugar mixture.
Next, slowly mix in the dry ingredient mixture with the wet ingredients.
Tip: Avoid overmixing and mix until just combined. This will prevent tough, flat cookies.
Separate the cookie dough into 4 equal portions and place each in a separate bowl.
Sprinkle the jello mix into each bowl (one flavor for each one) and knead gently until it’s combined.
Use a cookie scoop or a tablespoon and scoop out the chilled dough and roll it into 1-inch balls.
Add the extra sugar into a small bowl and roll each cookie dough ball in the sugar before placing it on the parchment-lined cookie sheet. Repeat this until all of the dough is used.
Bake the cookies for about 8-10 minutes. You’ll know they’re done when the edges are slightly browned.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the cookies cool for at least minutes before transferring them to a wire rack so they can cool completely.
Enjoy with a nice glass of milk and store leftovers in an airtight container.
Helpful Tips for this Jello Cookies Recipe
Can I make my cookies more vibrant in color?
Yes, simply add a couple drops of food coloring to the dough after mixing in the gelatin.
Do these Jello Cookies have a lot of tangy flavor?
The amount of gelatin that is added is not a lot, however you can taste the tangy flavor but it’s not over powering.
How should I store these cookies?
Like all cookies, they should be kept in an airtight container. They do not need to be refrigerated.
More Kid-Friendly Recipes From Kids Activities Blog
- These decadent, fudgy Kid-Friendly Lunch Lady Brownies are the perfect after-school treat!
- Love breakfast? Your kids will go crazy for this Snowman Pancakes Recipe.
- This is an adorable take on sushi! These Homemade Frushi Rolls are made to look like sushi but are filled with yummy fresh fruit.
- You can make store-bought treats at home like these Homemade Pop Tarts. They are easy to make and delicious, too.
- This recipe for Easy Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie is a fun way to share a treat as a family.
- Do not miss our list of 75 cookie recipes that we adore!
- These Oreo recipes are delicious!
- Have you tried these peppermint meringue cookies?
- You have got to check out these 25 Simple 3-Ingredient Cookie Recipes!
- These pistachio pudding cookies are so delicious.
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar, plus more for rolling
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 boxes (3 oz) boxes of jello, 4 different flavors - you will need 2 tablespoons each
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mat
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and 1 ½ cups sugar until fluffy
- Add eggs, milk and vanilla extract and beat until smooth
- Gradually add flour mixture and combine well
- Divide dough into four equal portions and add to separate bowls
- Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of jello into each bowl
- Knead until well combined
- Add sugar to small bowl for coating cookie balls
- Divide dough using a cookie dough scoop or tablespoon
- Roll into ball and then roll in sugar
- Place on prepared baking sheet
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until just lightly browned edges
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack
- Cool completely
- Store in airtight container at room temperature