Not only are Christmas trees the most recognizable Christmas decoration, they are really fun and easy crafts to make out of paper. We have 5 different ways to make paper Christmas trees that are the perfect holiday kids craft.
We thought it would be helpful to have a variety of paper Christmas tree craft ideas since they can be done as shown or with some of the ideas combined to create your own unique paper tree art!
Paper Christmas Tree Crafts for Kids
These kids’ Christmas crafts are perfect for kids of all ages. We have simplified them to include instructions for toddlers and preschoolers, but don’t let that talk you out of trying these with older kids because paper Christmas trees make the perfect foundation for creative decorating fun.
Any of the flat Christmas tree crafts can be adapted to making Christmas cards or wall decoration art. The 3D Christmas tree makes a lovely centerpiece.
Let’s make Christmas trees!
Paper Strip Christmas Tree Craft
To create this kids Christmas tree art, you will need these craft supplies:
- Several sheets of colored paper – can be construction paper or colorful copy paper
- (optional) Hole punch
- (optional) Star punch
Steps for Creating Your Paper Strip Christmas Tree:
- Cut colorful strips of paper. They can be uniform strips of a certain width or create a variety like is show in our example.
- Arrange the strips into a tree shape trimming the ends so that the top of the tree is created with shorter strips than the bottom. Have fun creating criss-cross patterns or parallel lines.
- Glue the strips onto a piece of paper in your tree shape and fashion a trunk at the bottom.
- Punch out holes from the colored paper scraps or use scissors to cut small ornament shapes. Glue those on top your tree including a star for the very tippy tree top.
Paper Triangle Christmas Trees with Clothes Pin Trunks
To create this toddler Christmas tree art, you will need these craft supplies:
- Green construction or card stock paper
- Decorations for your tree – punched holes, buttons, stickers, etc.
- Clothes Pins
Steps for Creating Your Paper Triangle Christmas Tree:
- Cut triangles out of your green paper.
- Attach the decorations with glue.
- Add a clothes pin at the bottom of each tree as a trunk.
If you are crafting with toddlers, one thing that you could do to eliminate the smaller decoration pieces is to cut the triangles out of cardboard and then cover them with Christmas wrapping paper. The kids can then attach the clothes pins and make tree forests.
Preschool Paper Christmas Tree Craft
To create this Preschool Christmas tree craft, you will need these supplies:
- Green paper cut into different shape triangles
- Glue stick
- Stickers – we like the round ones you can find in office supply stores & gold stars
Steps for Creating Your Preschool Paper Christmas Tree Craft:
- Preschoolers can arrange the triangles into a tree and use a glue stick to attach to paper.
- Use stickers to create a decorated Christmas tree.
Older kids can cut out the triangles or Christmas tree shape out of green paper as the first step.
Funny Googly Eye Tree Craft for Kids
To create this Silly Christmas tree craft, you will need these supplies:
- Green paper – it doesn’t have to be a traditional “tree” green color, try a greenish or neon choice
- Glue or glue sticks
- Googly eyes
Steps for Creating Your Silly Paper Christmas Tree Craft:
- Cut paper into triangles – different sizes and they don’t have to be uniform…remember, this is a SILLY craft!
- Glue the triangles onto a piece of paper in a not-perfectly straight way.
- Add the different size Googly eyes and have a giggle.
3 D Paper Christmas Tree
DIY Christmas Decorations
To create this 3D Paper Christmas tree craft, you will need these supplies:
- large piece of paper
- green construction paper
- glue or tape
Steps for Creating Your 3D Paper Christmas Tree Craft:
- Start with your big piece of paper and create a cone with it. Tape or glue it securely into a cone shape and trim the bottom so it can sit flat and upright.
- Cut the green construction paper into 1.5- 2 inch strips. Then holding the paper vertically, cut the strips of paper very close to the top, but not all the way through (if you cut your paper 2 inches thick, cut it 1 and 3/4 inches, so there is enough room at the top.
- Starting at the bottom of your cone, holding the sides of your paper that isn’t cut, begin gluing the strips of paper to your tree. Continue and overlap as much as you would like.
- When you get to the top of the tree, take a strip of your cut green construction paper and make another cone that you glue to the top of the tree.
- Decorate your 3D paper Christmas tree!
Now we have trees all over the house and on every table!
More Christmas Craft Fun from Kids Activities Blog
If you are looking for more Christmas crafts for kids, then check out our huge resource with over 100 ideas you can make at home or in the classroom.
We have oh so many free Christmas printables that you won’t want to miss and keep the paper Christmas crafting going!
Check out all the anticipation that the holiday season brings with Christmas countdown ideas for the entire family.
And your REAL Christmas tree won’t be complete without some adorable homemade ornaments! <–check out these fun & easy ideas!