Nobody will ever believe that this panko chicken recipe wasn’t fried in oil!
The skin is crispy, salty, and delicious– all without oil! It’s not healthy by any stretch, (you brush butter on the chicken!) but it’s definitely less messy!
Oven-Fried Panko Chicken Recipe
- 2 cups Panko crumbs (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1/2-3/4 tsp cayenee (adjust to taste)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 whole chicken, cut up, rinsed & dried
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Stir together panko crumbs, cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper & put in a pie plate.
- Stir together softened butter, 1/2 tsp salt, & 1/4 tsp pepper in a small bowl, & brush all over chicken pieces front & back.
- Add chicken, a piece at a time, to the crumb mixture in the pie plate and press to coat all sides evenly. Place chicken pieces in a shallow baking pan, skin side up.
- Bake chicken until well browned & cooked through. About 45 minutes (breasts will take longer, about an hour). Let stand uncovered 10 minutes to crisp after baking.
**I would suggest using a meat thermometer on the chicken breasts. Internal temperature in the thickest part of the meat should reach 175 degrees. If I had not used this, I would have pulled the breasts out undercooked. Mine took about 1 hour, the rest of the pieces took about 45 minutes.
Here are a few of our other favorite recipes to try!