Pre-pandemic, Costco’s half-sheet cakes were a staple at every single one of my kid’s birthday parties. Big enough to feed 40 people, at least, they were perfect for big get-togethers — and delicious.
But today, Costco confirmed some upsetting news: the warehouse store will no longer sell the popular enormous cakes.
Cue the tears and frustration by many, many Costco members.
What is Costco replacing the half-sheet cakes with?
Costco alluded to removing the half-sheet cakes from their bakery options back in late May. They had shared a Facebook post, featuring 10-inch round cakes, and slid in a comment: “Please note: Half-sheet cakes are currently not available to order or customize.”
And today the shocking news was officially confirmed to media outlets. Production of Costco half-sheet cakes is paused, and there are currently no plans to bring them back. It’s disappointing for sure, but there’s a hint as to why they made this decision in their official release:
We are currently not selling our 1/2 sheet cakes at any US locations and as of right now, we have no immediate plans to bring them back. We are focusing on our smaller 10″ White & 10″ Chocolate Cakes that seem to be resonating with our members.Costco
With fewer big shindigs happening across the country, fewer large cakes are being ordered. Chances are that’s one big reason they decided to change up what they’re offering.
But customers aren’t happy; just take a look at all the Facebook comments on the recent announcement!
As one person said, “I was so disappointed when I attempted to order a cake for my son’s birthday and was told they were not making them. Our small family of 3 buys these cakes with or without a large event. We just freeze portions for later.”
So maybe it’s not all about the demand for the cakes? Maybe there’s a supply issue instead; we all know that supplies of certain ingredients have been harder to come by in recent months.
While we don’t know Costco’s reasoning for sure, I think we can all agree it stinks that we can’t get their fabulous half-sheet cakes for the time being. But thank GOODNESS they’re still selling cakes, even if they’re not the huge cakes we know and love! Chances are the 10-inch cakes are just as every bit delicious.
Want more awesome Costco Finds? Check out:
- Mexican Street Corn makes the perfect barbecue side.
- This Frozen Playhouse will keep kiddos entertained for hours.
- Adults will can enjoy tasty Boozy Ice Pops for the perfect way to keep cool.
- This Mango Moscato is the perfect way to unwind after a long day.
- This Costco Cake Hack is pure genius for any wedding or celebration.
- Cauliflower Pasta is the perfect way to sneak in some veggies.
- Check out this Disney Christmas Castle from Costco!
- Look at these Ceramic Pumpkins from Costco!
- Try out these Easy Halloween Graveyard Decoration Ideas
- For a different kind of hot cocoa fun, see these eyeball hot cocoa balls from Costco!
- See this beach wagon from Costco, now available on Amazon!
- You’ve gotta come check out this pop up abco sport tent!
- Why do the check your receipt before you leave Costco? Click here to find out!
Don’t let the squishmallow fun end! Check out these squishmallow coloring pages!