One of the hardest parts of learning to ride a bike is learning how to balance. That’s why I absolutely love balance bikes. As soon as a child is comfortable with walking, they can use a balance bike. Yes, even at one years old! My youngest started using a balance bike at age two, and he loved figuring out how to use it and get momentum down hills.
But you may be wondering: what makes balance bikes so different than a bike with training wheels?
The biggest difference: they don’t come with pedals. Kids get started by using their feet to propel themselves forward. Once they’re comfortable with that, they’ll lift their feet and glide down the sidewalk or driveway. As they learn this, they’ll also learn the very important skill of balancing.
For some kids, this makes it easier to learn how to ride a regular bike solo down the road. Will you have to teach them to pedal later? Sure. But one step at a time! And balancing, in my opinion and experience, is harder for kiddos to master than pedaling.
So, without further ado, here are some of our favorite balance bikes:
Bixe Aluminum Balance Bike – Clocking in at just four pounds, this balance bike is one of the lightest on the market, making it easy to turn and control for kiddos age 3 to 5. Prices start at $69.99.
TheCroco Lightweight Balance Bike Premium – TheCroco has multiple aluminum balance bikes, but we prefer the premium compared to the basic model since it’s more lightweight. It’s also easy to assemble and even the handlebars are adjustable. With various models to choose from, they also offer balance bikes for kids anywhere from 18 months to 5 years old! Prices start at $71.90.
Strider 12 Sport Balance Bike – One of the most popular balance bikes out there, this one carries a bigger price tag, but it’s also designed to grow with your child. Both the seat and handlebar easily adjusts. That means their durable bikes can work with kids from age 18 months to 5 years old (or 12-20 inch inseam), without using tools! Prices start at $109.99.
Joystar 10″/12″ Kids Balance Bike with Footrest – This one is ideal for younger riders, age 1-3 years, as the frame is smaller. Bonus: it also comes with a footrest for easier gliding! And when kids glide, they discover their center of gravity. Prices start at $55.99.
Chillafish Charlie – One of the cheapest balance bikes on the market, the Chillafish bike is ideal for riders age 18 months to 4 years old. Similar to other models, it also has “no-puncture” tires. Bonus: kids can choose from some super fun colors. Prices start at $34.99.
Y-Volution My Buddy Balance Bike with Plush Dino Horse Unicorn – This might be the fanciest balance bike of the bunch! It may be a balance bike, but your kiddo will get a kick out of riding a dino horse unicorn (which is also removable and washable, which is a must). Prices start at $59.99.
Whichever balance bike you pick, your kid will have a blast learning how to ride!
OTHER ACTIVITIES KIDS LOVE:
- Make your own headband with buttons for mask.
- Check out our favorite halloween games.
- You will love playing these 50 science games for kids!
- My kids are obsessed with these active indoor games.
- 5-minute crafts solve boredom every time.
- These fun facts for kids are sure to impress.
- Join one of your kids’ favorite authors or illustrators for online story time!
- Throw a unicorn party… because why not? These ideas are so fun!
- Learn how to make a compass.
- Create an Ash Ketchum costume for play pretend!
- Kids love unicorn slime.
- Throw a baby shark party!
- Make a homemade bouncy ball.
- Make reading even more fun with this PBKids summer reading challenge.
- Come check out the quickest way for your kid to learn to ride a bike without training wheels!
- We have a diy bike rack made out of PVC pipes!
Here’s how you can Teach Gratitude to your Kids