When I was a teenager, I helped out at my Grandma’s church a lot. She was in charge of the preschool classes and she was always making homemade playdough and salt dough to make crafts with. I always loved helping her make both and loved seeing the handprint crafts that the kids completed.
Salt Dough Crafts
Nowadays, people are way more creative with the salt dough handprint crafts and I just can’t get over how amazing they are! Not to mention, these are amazing keepsakes!
This post contains Amazon Affiliate Links.
What Is Salt Dough?
Salt dough is very similar in texture to Play-Doh, but can be baked to harden into something amazing! Perfect to make a keepsake ornament. It’s usually baked at a very low oven temperature.
How Do You Make Salt Dough?
Salt dough is super simple to make. It really isn’t hard to make and only requires 3 items. Flour, salt, and water. I believe you can use warm water or cold water, but it depends on the salt dough recipe you use. Just make sure you have a large bowl to mix it all in.
I will say, I always used all purpose flour, I don’t know how other flour will work or how your salt dough creations would turn out. I would avoid self-rising flour.
Also, besides plain flower, you will need a large amount of salt. A small salt shaker won’t cut it as a batch of salt dough usually requires at least a cup of salt.
Salt Dough Hand Print Crafts
1. Elegant Salt Dough Handprint Dish Craft
I am always setting my ring down when I wash my hands or put on lotion so this Elegant Salt Dough Handprint Dish from Say Not Sweet Anne would be a perfect addition to my bathroom counter.
2. Salt Dough Handprint Ornaments Craft
The Salt Dough Handprint Ornament from The Best Ideas for Kids is fun because you can paint it so many different colors depending on decor, a certain holiday or the favorite color of the person you’re giving it to. Most of the times I use different drops of food coloring to change the dry salt dough color. But either way it’s a great way to keep your child’s handprint forever!
3. Salt Dough Handprints Lorax Craft
This is so much fun and so easy to do! Jinxy Kids has an adorable craft with their Handprint Lorax Craft with Microwave Salt Dough. I love that you can use your microwave this one!
4. Salt Dough Handprints Sunflower Craft
I would have never thought to make a Sunflower Handprint but Learning and Exploring Through Play did and it’s amazing! Homemade clay and beautiful plates are so much fun to make.
5. Paw Print Salt Dough Ornaments Craft
Want to get your pet in on the action? Savvy Saving Couple made an adorable DIY Paw Print Salt Dough Ornament that would be perfect for any time of the year, not just during the holidays!
6. Salt Dough Handprint Candle Holder Craft
Salt Dough Handprints Candle Holder Keepsakes from Easy Peasy and Fun are such a great way to have a way to remember how tiny their hands used to be and are pretty enough to put out as decor.
7. Easy Salt Dough Handprint Bowl Craft
Another way to keep your rings, coins or car keys in one place so you don’t lose them is by making a Salt Dough Handprint Bowl from Messy Little Monster. So cute!
8. Handprint Peacock Salt Dough Craft
One of my favorite animals is the peacock (they are gorgeous!) and I am so happy to see that Easy Peasy and Fun did a Handprint Peacock Salt Dough Craft!
9. Baby Hand and Foot Print Salt Dough Craft
When a new baby arrives, it’s a great idea to make something for their handprints and footprints to remind us in the years to come how small they once were. The Imagination Tree has an adorable Baby Hand and Foot Print craft to do just that.
10. Simple Handprint Salt Dough Frame Craft
I adore this Handprint Frame from Messy Little Monsters because not only will you be able to see their tiny little hands years from now but you can insert a picture of what they looked like when they did this craft. Super cute!
11. Earth Day Handprint and Photo Salt Dough Keepsake Craft
Teach Me Mommy has an amazing handprint craft that I just love! The Earth Day Handprint & Photo Keepsake is so pretty, you’ll want to keep it up all year round!
12. Family Handprint Salt Dough Keepsake
Why not get your entire family together and make a family handprint keepsake that you will love to display for years!
13. Beautiful Butterfly Handprint Salt Dough Keepsake Craft
Another fun animal handprint craft you can make is a Handprint Butterfly Keepsake from The Imagination Tree. It’s adorable!
13. Handprint Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Salt Dough Ornament Craft
Have a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle fan in your house? Why not make this Handprint Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Salt Dough Ornament from I Heart Arts n Crafts.
14. Salt Dough Football Handprint and Photo Keepsake Craft
For the football fans in your life, Teach Me Mommy has an adorable Football Handprint & Photo Keepsake that is amazing! I would have loved to make one of these when my son was little!
15. Finding Nemo Salt Dough Handprint Plaque Craft
If your child is a Finding Nemo fan, this Nemo Handprint Plaque from Fun Handprint Art would be so cute to hand on their bedroom wall!
More Handprint Activities From Kids Activities Blog:
- Need some salt dough recipes?
- Over 100 handprint art ideas for kids!
- Christmas handprint crafts for kids!
- Make a handprint Christmas tree that makes a great family card.
- Or a reindeer handprint craft…Rudolph!
- Handprint Christmas ornaments are sooooo cute!
- Make a Thanksgiving turkey handprint apron.
- Make a pumpkin handprint.
- These salt dough handprint ideas are so cute.
- Make handprint animals – these are a chick and a bunny.
- More handprint art ideas from our friends at Play Ideas.
How did your salt dough handprint turn out? Comment below, let us know, we’d love to hear from you!