These Hot Chocolate Cupcakes are made with chocolate, ooey gooey chocolate drizzle and are the perfect way to warm your heart and soul come winter.
Want more delicious Hot Cocoa Recipes? Check out: 2-Minute Hot Chocolate Cake, Strawberry Hot Chocolate, Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate and Crock Pot Vanilla Hot Chocolate.
When you think of winter you probably associate it with freezing cold weather and the best way to heat up is with a warm treat!
These hot cocoa cupcakes are my favorite way to stay inside where it’s warm and bake a sweet (and tasty) treat with my kiddos.
Something to keep in mind when making these is that they are ooey, gooey so you will make a mess. If you’d rather the icing be a bit more stiff, you can place these into the fridge prior to eating.
But, if you like your chocolate melty then enjoy getting those hands a little messy because they are totally worth it!
Oh and while you need to traditionally wait until the cupcakes cool to frost them, you don’t have to with this recipe!
How to Make Hot Chocolate Cupcakes:
For The Cupcakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 granulated white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 package cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate pieces
- 3/4 cup mini marshmallows (unsalted)
For the Frosting
- 5 ounces unsweetened chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
For The Topping
- Mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350° and place paper baking cups into 24 regular-sized muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder.
- In a small bowl, mix water and cocoa until dissolved.
- In a large bowl (this is feeling like Goldilocks a bit), cream sugar, butter, and eggs.
- Next, add cream cheese and vanilla extract.
- On a low speed, blend in dry mixture, then when fully combined blend in cocoa mixture.
- Add mini marshmallows and mix by hand.
- Fill each muffin cup up about 2/3 full and bake for 20-25 minutes until an inserted toothpick
comes out clean. Cool thoroughly before frosting.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 15-second bursts, stirring between each one.
- Microwave the sweetened condensed milk in a separate bowl for 5-10 seconds until just warm to
the touch, and add it to the chocolate. Stir until smooth.
- Allow to cool in the refrigerator, stirring occasionally, until workable. Wait for frosting to
reach room temperature before using.
- Once cupcakes have been frosted, sprinkle mini marshmallows on the cupcakes.
- Serve and enjoy!
NOTE: Icing resembles thick chocolate sauce.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 221 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 30mg Sodium: 215mg Carbohydrates: 27g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 15g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g