If there is one thing I wish I had learned as a kid it would be the true value of money because it is something far too many of us only learn as an adult. I love this story of a mom who took lessons she learned from the workforce home to her kids and how her kids are now reaping the rewards of those lessons.
Mom Has Kids Apply for Chores
That is why I love this brilliant mom’s idea…
This Mom Made Her Kids ‘Apply’ For Household Chores and She is My Hero!
Related: Chores list for kids
Shaketha McGregor is a mom of 3 that came up with a solution to her kids earning the things they want.
Kids Can Fill Out a Job Application
Her solution: applying for household jobs around the house.
She decided to accept applications for various household chores that her kids could “apply” to and earn money. She even held interviews in “Mom’s Room”.
Kids Can Apply for Posted Jobs
“Kitchen Manager” “Lead Housekeeper” and “Laundry Supervisor”.
Mom Has a Credit Union
She even had a sign that said:
Mom’s Credit Union
Let mom start you off with a line of credit to help build your allowance as well as character! Making on time contributions around the house can pay off big time.
Other Parents Weigh In
And when other parents saw this, they praised her for it and honestly, how could they not?
This is a seriously brilliant idea and I am totally trying it with my kids! Kuddos mama!
What Happened Next?
We first wrote about this story several years ago and good things have come to Shaketha Marion. She hosts a parenting podcast called The Mommy Talk and has a book out, Sly the Fox and the Final Shot. Follow her on IG as @IamShaketha for more updates.
More Chores for Kids Information from Kids Activities Blog
- Grab our best chore & reward system for kids
- Download & print the free printable chore list by age
- These parents charge their kids for snacks
- Why kids need chores
- How to get your kids to do chores daily
- How to get kids to stop whining about chores
- How to make chores fun
- How to assign chores kids want to do
- Teen chores
- Zone cleaning cards you can print
- Pet chores for kids
- Make chore bracelets for kids
- See this list of age appropriate chores for kids!
- Best chore charts
- These parents used snacks instead of allowance to teach them about currency
- We have the best home organizing ideas!
What do you think of this idea??