Can a penny dropped off the Empire State Building really kill you? What does happen if you drop a penny from the Empire State Building?
Childhood Lore of Drop a Penny
There are a lot of things we hear as little kids that we believe well into adulthood.
I’m not talking Santa or the Stork or any of that…I’m talking about how you have to hold your breath walking past a cemetery.
Related: More fun facts
Or how counting to 10 cures hiccups.
Or if you count the second between thunder and lightening you know how many miles away a storm is.
Can a Penny Kill You if Dropped from the Empire State Building?
Or, a really big one, that a penny dropped from the top of the Empire State Building could kill someone.
Could it, though?
Empire State Building Penny Drop
Turns out, the answer is no.
And the solution to this comes straight from the world of physics.
See, when something is falling it is acted on by gravity, but also by air resistance.
So there’s a point after you drop that penny where it reaches it’s maximum speed (surprisingly low) and there’s nothing that can happen that’ll make it fall faster.
What Happens When a Penny is Dropped
Something else that makes this an unlikely happening is the fact that pennies are not very aerodynamic.
They’re flat, and flip, and flop around.
And chances are one gust of wind is going to blow it completely off course and it might not even end up hitting the ground!
Take a look!
What REALLY happens if you drop a penny off the Empire State Building Video
More Science Fun from Kids Activities Blog
- Try one of our many easy science experiments for kids!
- Science is fun, but to prove it, we have a bunch of fun science games.
- Have you ever wanted to make one of those lemon battery science project things?
- Grab one of our fun ideas for high school science fair projects and a cool science fair poster!
- Let’s do some fun science activities for kids!
- Did you know we literally wrote the book on kids’ science? Yep, 101 Cool Science Experiments – find out more & where you can pick up a copy.
- Oh and don’t leave out the little ones with these science experiments for preschool!
- Need some frighteningly fun science Halloween experiments.
What had you heard about dropping a penny from the Empire State Building as a child?