Halloween is creeping up on us and I don’t know about you but I am ready to decorate my home (including our bathroom) with creepy Halloween decorations. That is why today we are partnering with our good friends at Imperial Sugar to share this amazing Homemade Creepy Bug Soap. It’s perfect for party favors or for creeping your guests out all month long!
Related: Things to make with soap
What You Will Need to Make Homemade Creepy Bug Soap:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vitamin E oil (optional)
- 2-3 drops of your favorite essential oil (peppermint, lavender, lemon, vanilla, etc.)
- 16 ounces clear glycerin melt-and-pour soap
- Microwave Safe Measuring Cup
- 91% Isopropyl Alcohol in a spray bottle
- Soap Mold (can find at the craft store)
- Plastic Bug Toys (can find at the dollar store)
Recipe adapted from Imperial Sugar.
How to Make Homemade Creepy Bug Soap:
- Cut melt-and-pour soap into cubes and place into a microwave safe measuring cup or container.
- Heat for 30 seconds in the microwave then remove and stir. Repeat until melted (about 1 minute total). Tip: Do not allow the soap to burn as it will smell terrible and not be very useful as soap.
- Once soap is melted, remove it from the heat and mix in granulated sugar and vitamin E oil (if using). You want the sugar to dissolve just a bit in the soap.
- Add your essential oil and stir well.
- Pour into soap molds until about halfway full.
- Place in your favorite plastic bugs. (We found our creatures at the dollar store.) Remember that your mold is upside down, so put bugs in so they are facing the top of the soap when complete (put them in upside down).
- Top off the mold with more of the soap mixture and then give the tops of your soap a few quick sprays of the isopropyl alcohol. Doing this will remove any air bubbles trapped at the surface and give your soap a more clear look.
- Allow your soap to harden in the mold for at least 2 hours before removing. To remove, flip the mold over and push gently on the backside. Soaps will pop right out.
- Soaps can be used immediately or wrapped in some cute bags and given as gifts for Halloween!
What does sugar have to do with it?
Sugar is such an amazing and useful ingredient. It’s great for baking and crafting. For this particular craft, the sugar gives the soap just a big of a foggy look to it so it gives more of an overall creepy look!
Want more fun idea? I suggest starting right here on Kids Activities Blog for fun Fall crafts and activities but as always, make sure you check out Imperial Sugar Kids in The Kitchen where you can find fun recipe and craft ideas for kids using sugar! You can also check out the Cubie & Cubette’s Cooking Club which is a series of fun videos you and your kids can watch to learn how to create all sorts of fun things!