Let’s host a family movie night with the best and yummiest popcorn recipes around! Sometimes the popcorn is better than the movie! This family night idea will elevate your fun time together and make memories for you and kids of all ages.
Best Popcorn Recipes for Movie Night
Looking for family fun ideas? Pop in a movie, and make 5 Popcorn Recipes for Movie Night for a great way to spend time together. You’ll love this family tradition for sure!
Related: Free kids movies
This post contains affiliate links.
Related: I love these fun popcorn facts.
1. Caramel Corn Popcorn Recipe
When it comes to popcorn, a caramel-flavored one is a classic and a favorite in our house. You’ll be impressed with how easy a DIY version of this recipe is!
Ingredients Needed To Make Caramel Popcorn:
- ½ cup unpopped Popcorn kernels
- 1 cup Light Brown Sugar
- A cup of salted Butter
- 1/2 cup Light Corn Syrup
- 1½ – 2 tsp salt, divided
How To Make Caramel Popcorn:
- First, preheat the oven to 300°.
- Next, line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cook the popcorn, using your favorite method.
- In a small saucepan melt butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and 1 tsp salt together. Then, bring the mixture to a boil for about 4 minutes.
- Pour the caramel mixture over the popcorn. Mix to coat evenly.
- Then, pour popcorn onto the parchment paper. Add the remaining salt.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes
- Let cool and serve.
2. Yummy Popcorn Trail Mix Recipe
Add some colors to your popcorn when you make this yummy popcorn trail mix recipe! The kids will love it, I promise!
Ingredients Needed to Make Popcorn Trail Mix:
- 1/3 cup unpopped Popcorn Kernels
- A cup of Pretzels
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons Light Corn Syrup
- 1 cup Light Brown Sugar
- Large Marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- A cup of M&M’s
- 1 teaspoon Salt
How To Make Popcorn Trail Mix:
- Start by cooking the popcorn, using your favorite method.
- Next, place popcorn and pretzels on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter.
- Then, add brown sugar and corn syrup to melted butter, and mix.
- Add marshmallows, until completely melted.
- Remove from the heat, and then add vanilla and salt.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the popcorn and pretzels, then stir.
- Add the M&M’s.
3. Spicy Chili & Lime Popcorn Recipe
Popcorn can be spicy too! Spice up your movie night when you make this chili and lime popcorn recipe! Just be sure to reserve some sweet popcorns for the smaller kids!
Ingredients Needed To Make Spicy Chili & Lime Popcorn:
- 1/4 cup of Popcorn Kernels
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- Juice of 1 Lime
- Salt, to taste
Head on over to Killing Thyme for this delicious recipe!
4. Tasty Cinnamon Sugar Popcorn Recipe
Popcorns can be cinnamon-flavored too! And it smells so good too. Have a wonderful twist on your popcorn with this recipe!
Ingredients Needed To Make Cinnamon Sugar Popcorn:
- 1/3 cup plain Popcorn Kernels
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, melted
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- Salt, to taste
How To Make Cinnamon Sugar Popcorn Recipe:
- In a brown paper bag, cook the popcorn on high in the microwave for about 1 minute 20 seconds or until the popping stops (this equals about 8 cups)
- In a small pan, melt the butter
- In a mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and melted butter
- Pour popcorn into a bowl and add the cinnamon mixture on top, mix
- Add salt to the top to season the popcorn further
5. Easy Cheddar Cheese Popcorn Recipe
Cheese is another popcorn flavor the kiddos love. Here’s a fantastic version of it, with all the things you need to make this amazing recipe!
Ingredients Needed To Make Cheddar Cheese Popcorn:
- 1/3 cups unpopped Popcorn Kernels
- 6 Tablespoons Butter, melted
- ½ cup Cheddar Cheese Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Mustard Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
How to Make Cheddar Cheese Popcorn:
- First, cook popcorn using your favorite method.
- Next, melt the butter in a small saucepan.
- Add cheddar cheese powder, mustard powder, and salt to the butter.
- Pour over the popcorn, and mix together.
Delicious Popcorn Recipe Ideas and Notes
While it may be tempting to use microwave popcorn, avoid it when possible. When adding any wet ingredients it tends to get soggy. Homemade popcorn works much better and is more crunchy.
Looking for good popcorn flavors while enjoying healthy popcorn recipe? You can use a little olive oil or coconut oil instead of butter, or better yet, ghee.
You can swap different flavors out with these easy recipes. We all have different taste buds. If you don’t like the molasses flavor or brown sugar, you can use white sugar.
Don’t like chili lime? Just use chili powder. Or if you don’t want the tart flavor of chili salt, use lime zest.
Want a kick to your cheese popcorn? Add a dash of cayenne pepper.
More Movie Night Popcorn Ideas From Kids Activities blog
- Have you tried this yummy honey popcorn recipe?
- I love this Cinnamon Sugar Popcorn!
- You can make your own movie theater popcorn at home!
- This deliciously simple instant pot popcorn is easy and yummy.
- How delicious are these Spider-Man popcorn balls?
- Love sweet and salty? Then you’ll love this sweet and salty popcorn recipe. White chocolate, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, salt, butter, soo good!
- Your mouth will water with this strawberry popcorn recipe.
- Oh my gosh, this truffle and parmesan popcorn is my favorite.
- If you haven’t tried this snickerdoodle popcorn recipe you’re missing out. I love sweet popcorn!
- Here are 22 free kids movies you can watch on youtube!
- Check out this delicious instant popcorn!
What is your favorite popcorn recipe? Comment below!