Now that it’s Spring all sorts of beautiful creatures are making their debut after a long winter including beautiful butterflies. I can tell you that for some reason our yard attracts more bee’s than butterflies but I am going to change that! Today we’ve partnered with Imperial Sugar to share an Easy Homemade Butterfly Feeder which includes a butterfly food recipe!
This is a great way to attract more butterflies to your yard in an inexpensive and homemade way!
What You Will Need to Make An Easy Homemade Butterfly Feeder:
- 1 pound Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar (about 3 3/4 Cups)
- 1 or 2 cans stale beer
- 3 mashed, overripe bananas
- 1 cup of molasses or syrup
- 1 cup of fruit juice
- 1 shot of rum
- Twine or string
- Large mixing bowl
Butterfly Food Recipe adapted from Imperial Sugar.
How to Make An Easy Homemade Butterfly Feeder:
- Mash the bananas using a fork.
- In the large bowl, mix all the ingredients well. If you find that your bananas are lumpy, continue to stir with a large spoon until smooth.
- Take your scissors and use the sharp end to poke a hole through the sponge.
- Place the twine or string through the hole and set aside.
- Dip the sponges into the mixture and allow the sponges to soak up the mixture. I did one side of the sponge then flipped it over so it was entirely coated. I recommend doing this step outside so the mixture doesn’t drip in your home.
- Then hang the sponges from a tree limb. You can also paint the mixture on trees, fence posts, rocks, or stumps.
Sugar is Fun and Tasty for Everyone
For months we’ve been sharing super fun ways to bake and make with sugar. Sugar is such a versatile product AND it’s totally inexpensive which always makes things more fun! If I could ensure I was always stocked up on something it would for sure be sugar. Endless baking and crafting possibilities!
With summer approaching, you will want to have some fun ideas of things you can do with your kiddos. I suggest starting right here on Kids Activities Blog and of course, make sure you check out Imperial Sugar Kids in The Kitchen where you can find fun recipe and craft ideas for kids using sugar! You can also check out the Cubie & Cubette's Cooking Club which is a series of fun videos you and your kids can watch to learn how to create all sorts of fun things!