STEM Challenges are terrific ways to help teach your kids about science, technology, engineering and math, all while building their brains and making connections through problem solving.
This week we studied paper airplanes. Every week we like to do a different challenge with our elementary-aged kiddos. I give them a problem or a contest, and they have to figure out how to solve it. You would not believe how engaged the kids are in learning when they have a problem to solve!
STEM Paper Airplane Challenge
Make a paper airplane that can carry a cargo and glide more than ten feet (not be hurled, but actually glide). The cargo we decided on was money-coins. And the winner is the kiddo who could fly the most money. Our winner flew a plane with $5.60! Second place winner came in with nearly $3.00 of coins!
How Much Cargo Can a Paper Airplane Carry?
Supplies you need to set up your kids challenge: (affiliate links)
First, draw a line on the floor about ten feet in front of your doorway. Use tape to make a “target” in the upper third of the doorway. To prove their cargo plane can fly, kids need to glide their plane through that “target” successfully.
Video: How to Fold a Paper Airplane
If your kids don’t know how to make a paper airplane, have them watch some videos on You Tube. Below is our kids favorite airplane to make. This is a problem solving activity for them, so try to stay as un-involved in the process as possible. Your kids can just watch the videos and teach themselves. If you are unable to watch the videos, here is a basic how to fold an airplane instruction sheet. You can print it out.
More STEM Activities? Check Out These Posts:
- Learn about weight and balances with this lego scale.
- Want another STEM challenge? Check out this red cup challenge.
- Need even more STEM challenges? Try this straw building challenge.
- Have fun with this color changing milk experiment.
- Learn how to make a solar system mobile.
- Fly amid the stars with these moon activities.
- Have fun with this paper plate marble maze.
- Your kids will love these fun math activities.
- Make this awesome lego spaceship.
- Try these scary good Halloween science experiments.
- Learn how to make robots for kids.
- Enjoy these edible science experiments for kids!
- Learn about science with this air pressure activities.
- Have an explosive good time with this baking soda and vinegar experiment.
- Win first place with these taste test science fair projects!
- Your child will love these fun science activities.
- Teach your child how to build a volcano.
Leave a comment: How much money did your children manage to successfully load onto their paper airplanes?