I am always looking for a new trail mix recipe for the family. Trail mix or snack mix is perfect for the lunchbox or as an after school pick-me-up! I recently found this Kids Toasted Trail Mix recipe and fell in love! It gives you the perfect mix of salt, nuts and pizza flavor — yes it’s pizza flavor!
There are so many variations to a trail mix recipe. If you can’t have nuts, you can add Cheese Itz or Cheerios. That is what I love about trail mix — it combines all of your favorite snacks. What I love about this one is the baked flavor of the pizza seasoning and Parmesan cheese.
Here’s what you need:
Kids Toasted Trail Mix
- 4 cups Wheat Chex
- 2 cups mini Triscuits
- 2 cups Pretzel Sticks
- 1 cup un-salted Dry Roasted Peanuts
- 1 cup Cashews
- 6 tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Pizza or Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
- Mix together all of the dry ingredients (Chex, Triscuits, pretzel sticks, dry roasted peanuts and cashews)
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan
- Add the Pizza or Italian Seasoning and Soy Sauce to melted butter and mix completely
- Pour the mixture evenly over the dry ingredients
- Spread the mixture over a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Bake for 5 minutes, remove and mix trail mix
- Bake for another 5 minutes until golden brown
- Allow for trail mix to cool completely
- Store in an airtight container
After you pour the butter mixture over the dry ingredients, make sure you mix it completely. You want to cover all of the dry ingredients the best you can. When you are done mixing, spread out over a baking sheet covered in parchment paper.
Slightly sprinkle the grated Parmesan cheese over the top. You don’t want to overdo it — just a little goes a long way.
Put this in the oven for just 5 minutes to start. Take it out and mix it up. Then put it back in the oven for another 5 minutes.
It will look like this when it comes out.
Make sure you let the trail mix cool completely — then put it in an airtight container or bag. This trail mix is great for school lunches or as an after school snack. I also like to put it in a decorative jar and give as a holiday or hostess gift!
If you are always looking for a trail mix recipe like me, try Aunt Kay’s Trash Mix –– it’s also really yummy!