When you think about cold weather food, meatloaf comes to mind! It does for me anyway. I love perfectly seasoned meatloaf with some mashed potatoes on a cold fall evening. And if you are looking for a little spin on your traditional meatloaf, you have to try this Meatloaf Meatball recipe.
One of these meatloaf meatballs is perfect for one person. This size fits into the palm of your hand but you could make them smaller too.
Here’s what you need:
Ingredients for the Meatloaf Meatballs:
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheese (we used the mixed shredded cheese)
- 1 tsp salt
- olive oil or non-stick spray for the casserole dish
Ingredients for the Sauce:
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 tsp dried mustard
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Combine the ground beef, bread crumbs, onion powder, salt, egg and shredded cheese in a large mixing bowl
- Shape the meatballs the size of the palm of your hand
- Place meatballs in a casserole dish that has been coated with olive oil or non-stick spray
- Mix together the ketchup, dried mustard and brown sugar for the sauce
- With a large serving spoon, put enough sauce to cover the top of each meatball
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on the size of the meatballs
It’s really easy to put together. In a big mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients.
It will look like this.
Then you shape the meatballs the size of the palm of your hand, smaller than a baseball but bigger than a regular size meatball. We were able to make 6 meatballs with this mixture. Place the meatballs in a casserole dish. Make sure you coat the dish with olive oil or non-stick spray.
Next you are going to mix the sauce. Put the ketchup, dried mustard and brown sugar in a bowl and mix throughly.
Pour a spoonful of sauce over the top of the meatball.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour depending on how big the meatballs are.
Remove from the dish and serve warm. This is really good with mashed or baked potatoes and a veggie. Put any leftovers in the fridge and serve the next day. It’s even better as leftovers!