Let’s do something really crazy today…learn how to make lipstick with crayons. This is the perfect DIY lipstick for kids.
There is something about color that is exciting. Especially if it is not a “normal” color. Why have boring makeup when you can make a statement?
This post contains affiliate links.
Make Lipstick with Crayons
Supplies you will need
- Empty Lip Balm Containers
- Neon or other bright colored crayons (really, you can go black too, any colors work. We just loved the brilliant colors in the neon pack)
- Shea Butter
- Coconut Oil
- (Optional) Grapefruit Oil
For each crayon used, you will want to have a teaspoon of shea butter and a teaspoon of coconut oil. This makes the lipstick more of a lip gloss consistency.
Directions for Making the Crayon Lipstick
Peel your crayons and break them into pieces.
We used a candle warmer and placed the jars onto the warmer. In small jars we broke up our pieces of crayon and began melting them.
Start with one crayon at a time. We used two crayons per tube but had lots leftover.
Add the shea butter and the coconut oil once the crayon pieces have melted down and stir it until it is thin.
Carefully, pour the wax into lip balm tubes.
Things We Learned
- If you want your lip color to be darker or more intense than what is pictured, decrease both the oil and the butter.
- To help mask the “crayon odor”, you can add a single drop of grapefruit oil to the melted lip balm. The oils give the lip gloss a really fun scent – they almost smell neon!
- Make sure that the crayon butter is smooth.
- These are perfect gifts or a great craft for a sleepover! The tubes are ready for some crazy – hand drawn – custom labels before they will be gifted to pals for Christmas this year
Safety Issues with Warm Wax
As we used a candle warmer, while the crayon/oil mixture did get warm, really warm, there was not a risk of burning ourselves as it was not too hot.
Maybe your warmer is the same way, and if so, this is an activity that your kids can do without you – provided they have their working surfaces covered in case there is a spill.
Melted crayon is hard to clean up.
Video Tutorial for Making Your Own Lipstick at Home
Need more help making them? Watch the video below!
More Fun Ideas from Kids Activities Blog
- Make DIY tinted lip balm
- This is easy…how to make candles at home
- How about these cute read my lips valentine printable?
- Make lip exfoliator DIY…this is super easy too!
- Make your own chocolate lip balm
- Need some makeup storage? We have the best makeup organizer ideas.
What color lipstick for kids did you make?