Help your kiddo get pumped about another year of learning with this fun and easy back to school craft. One of the best parts of going back to school is the fresh school supplies! Your kid can turn an ordinary pencil pouch into something cool and personal with this easy craft. Perfect for all ages, this would look cool with toddler scribbles or big kid doodles. Whether your child is starting preschool or entering junior high, they are sure to dig decorating a pencil pouch. My son, who is just now getting the hang of drawing thought it was a blast.
What You Need to Create a Kid Decorated Pencil Pouch
- A plain pencil pouch (I found ours at Target)
- A Sharpie or fabric marker for doodling
- A small piece of cardboard to make drawing easier and protect the other side from bleeding marker
- A ruler (optional but helpful)
How to Decorate a Pencil Pouch
- First place a piece of cardboard cut to size inside your pouch. This will help make sure the pen doesn’t bleed onto the opposite side. It will also make drawing easier if there is a zipper on one side.
- On the front of your pouch use a ruler to draw writing lines (two solid with a dashed on in the middle).
- Have your kiddo write their name on the lines.
- Flip the pouch over and let them go to town. It might be helpful to have your kid practice their design on a piece of paper first. You can suggest a back to school theme or just let their imagination run wild.
- Remove the cardboard, fill with freshly sharpened pencils, and don’t forget to put it in that new back pack!
Hurry, grab a Sharpie and make sure your kid has the coolest pencil pouch in class!
Feeling a bit overwhelmed by this whole back to school thing? Check out the Back to School Extravaganza of Information and you’ll feel more prepared in no time!