We got started making ribbon flowers and then made…well, a lot of ribbon flowers!
My kids wanted to wear the ribbon flowers in their hair, pinned in their bangs, on top of headbands, as accessories on their purse straps, etc.
One flower can not be in three places!
Unless we created a mix-and-match headband system that allows an easy change of the ribbon flowers.
How to Make a Mix-and-Match Headband
I fully endorse this idea since I am always changing my mind. This will work for not only my kids, but me!
This article includes affiliate links. The ribbon shown in the pictures were a gift from from Hairbow Supplies Etc.
Supplies Needed for DIY Headband
- Chunky head band
- Roughly 6″ of ribbon – here are some of our favorites
- Glue Gun
- An assortment of accessories and ribbon flowers attached to hair clips
Steps to Make Headband System to Change Out Accessories
- Pick one side of the head band. Glue one end of the ribbon inside the headband. Wrap the ribbon around the headband. You will want three “stripes” of ribbon around the headband. Glue the other end into the inside of the head band.
- The head band looks fun and cheery with only the ribbon… but it comes to life with flowers clipped into the “stripes” of the ribbon.
- You can unclip flowers and clip new ones in – change the flowers to match your outfits.
The three-stripe headband system can hold up to 5 accessories. Add some feather backing and button accents!
We have continued to create new ribbon flowers in different color combinations and started adding some other accessories attached to clips so they can be used as well.
Check out how to make a DIY hair bow display to make it easy to find all your favorite hair accessories.
More Hairstyle Fun from Kids Activities Blog
- Super easy and fun hairstyles for girls that are doable
- Super cute and fun (and easy) little girl hairstyles
- Cute boy hairstyles for preschool, Kindergarten, grade school and beyond
- Check out these braids for girls ideas – they will be perfect for your accessories
- Add in your favorite ribbon flowers or headband to our best picks for picture day hairstyles
What colors did you use when you made your interchangeable headband system?