This simple 2 ingredient playdough recipe requires no cooking and is easy for kids of all ages to make and play. This homemade playdough is one of our favorite easy recipes and results in hours of play!
This playdough recipe is the softest, almost silky play dough recipe. My kids love to mold and create with play dough but this would also make a great gift idea. This is the EASIEST play dough recipe because it is no cook play dough. It only uses two ingredients and under 10 minutes to make.
Easy 2 Ingredient Homemade Play Dough Recipe
Kids Activities Blog hopes you can use this as a staple “emergency birthday gift” idea.
After playing with the silky play dough, my hands feels like they came home from a spa treatment…Seriously we LOVE this stuff.
NOTE: This is inedible play-dough and should not be used with younger kids who are still putting things into their mouths.
This post contains affiliate links.
So what did we need to create our silky play dough? Just these 2 ingredients for play dough making fun…
- 1 part Hair Conditioner
- 2 parts Corn Starch
- (Optional 3rd ingredient) Food Coloring or Food Dye or even glitter
Let’s start with our very short video tutorial on how to make the softest play dough, ever:
Mix 2 parts cornstarch with 1 part hair conditioner in a bowl.
Stir with a spoon.
Knead with your hands.
Step 4 (Optional)
We have found that adding the food coloring at this stage is the easiest. You can add it in step 2, but it can be controlled so much easier in this step. Keep adding food coloring until you have achieved the desired play dough color.
How to Make Playdough Softer
Since not all hair conditioners are the same consistency, you may need to alter the amounts just a bit so it is dough consistency. Don’t be afraid to add some hair conditioner at any step to adjust the softness.
If it becomes too soft, then add some additional cornstarch.
Cloud Dough Playdough Recipe
Think of this as a mix between playdough and cloud dough. It is light and airy like cloud dough, but molds better as the conditioner helps the cornstarch become more pliable.
Related articles: Another fun thing you can make with cornstarch is Oobleck. We’ve had lots of fun playing with oobleck in the past on Kids Activities Blog. We have also made goop or silly putty with cornstarch.
Cornstarch is such a fun ingredient to have in your craft cabinet!
Homemade Playdough Gift Idea
We made our Silky Play Dough as a gift for a friend. We packaged the play dough up with glitter, a couple of play dough toys (rolling pin, cookie cutters, sequins, etc) and cupcake liners.
If your gift recipient may not be able to play with it immediately, then you can create a cute make-your-own-play-dough kit that has the two ingredients packaged separately with a printable instructions card and an airtight container for storage.
More Playdough Recipes from Kids Activities Blog
For another play dough recipe and more activities we’ve got you covered. Kids Activities Blog hopes you enjoy all the fun play dough kids activities we have for you:
- Our ultimate playdough recipe has been shared over 100K times on social media!
- Try this fun homemade play doh ice cream!
- Make playdough animals with this fun activity.
- This fall playdough is scented like autumn.
- This is a fun play dough cake idea for birthdays.
- Make this adorable and sweet Peeps playdough recipe.
- Make homemade gingerbread playdough and have some holiday fun.
- This Christmas playdough idea is a candy cane with both white play dough and red.
- Make Kool Aid Playdough…it smells delicious!
- Looking to make playdough with younger kids? Check out our 15 fun edible playdough recipes.
- This peanut butter playdough recipes is one of my favorites.
- This sparkly and colorful galaxy playdough is really cool and easily made at home.
- This homemade playdough with essential oils is our favorite sick day activity.
- All of our favorite homemade play dough recipes can be found here.
How did your soft playdough recipe turn out? Is it the softest playdough you have ever made?