Fun facts coloring sheets are the perfect way for parents to not only give their kids a fun activity to try but also help them learn something at the same time. Today, we look at the state of Louisiana, the Pelican State, which was discovered by French explorers and named after King Louis XIV, the king of France at the time.
Fun Facts about Louisiana
French settlers quickly flocked to the area, and the history of Louisiana is undoubtedly deeply influenced by them and African slaves, which led to the unique Creole cuisine you’ll find here! Let’s learn more about Louisiana’s history here.
Download here —> Interesting Facts About Louisiana
While Baton Rouge, the capital of Louisiana, is well known, another famous city from this Creole state is the city of New Orleans, widely given credit as the city where the birthplace of jazz took place.
And, if your little one is curious about what kind of animals live in Louisiana, you can expect a large population of the American alligator – Louisiana is home to over 2 million wild alligators across the state! Here are 10 fun facts about Louisiana:
Louisiana Facts FOR KIDS
- Louisiana became the 18th state in 1812. Before that, it was explored by French adventurers in a huge area called the Louisiana Territory.
- Louisiana’s Mardi Gras in New Orleans is like a giant party! There are parades, cool floats, and people wearing amazing masks, all before starting Lent.
- Baton Rouge has the tallest capitol building in the whole country called the Louisiana State Capitol and it has awesome views of the Mississippi River.
- The Lake Pontchartrain Causeway is a long bridge that stretches for almost 24 miles over water.
- The Mississippi River in Louisiana played a huge part in history. It even helped make the United States much bigger when they did the Louisiana Purchase in 1803.
- Breaux Bridge is known as the Crawfish Capital of the World!
- Jazz music was born in Louisiana, especially in New Orleans! Musicians like Louis Armstrong made awesome music that everyone loves.
- Louisiana has a long history with Native American tribes that shaped its culture and traditions.
- Louisiana is the only state to have parishes and not counties.
- Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge and the nearby town of Gueydan are famous for lots of ducks – so much that they call it the Duck Capital of America.
More Louisiana Interesting Facts
- The unique state motto of Louisiana is ‘Union, Justice and Confidence.’
- Rayne, a town in Louisiana, is known as the ‘Frog Capital of the World’ and holds an annual frog festival.
- Louisiana’s state bird is the brown pelican.
- Jean Lafitte National Historical Park is named after the French privateer (pirate) who assisted the Americans against the British during the Revolutionary War.
- The biggest tourist attraction in New Orleans is Bourbon Street. It is found in the French quarter of the city. Millions of tourists visit this famous destination each year.
SUPPLIES NEEDED FOR LOUISIANA FACTS COLORING SHEETS
- Something to color with favorite crayons, colored pencils, markers, paint, watercolors…
- The printable Louisiana facts coloring sheets template pdf — see button below to download & print.
- Louisiana facts coloring pages are sized for standard letter printer paper dimensions – 8.5 x 11 inches.
DOWNLOAD PRINTABLE Louisiana Facts PDF FILE
MORE FUN FACTS COLORING PAGES FROM KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG
- Interesting facts about New York.
- Fun facts about California that you should know!
- Don’t miss out on these Texas facts coloring pages!
- If you love the Midwest, you’ll love these fun Georgia facts coloring pages!
- Love state facts? Here are some Arizona facts coloring pages!
- Learn about former Spanish Florida with Florida facts coloring pages!
- These 10 facts about Greece coloring pages are the cutest ever.
- Learn about the capital city of Italy with these interesting Rome Facts.
- Check out our love coloring pages too!
Did you enjoy those fascinating facts about Louisiana? Share them with your family and friends if you did!