Today we are learning super fun and interesting facts about Iowa!
The state of Iowa is famous for many reasons – From notable natives such as John Wayne, Bob Feller, Ashton Kutcher, and President Herbert Hoover to the almost 50 000 square miles of farmland and corn capital of the USA, the Cedar Rapids. And if you’re in the mood for fascinating facts about this awesome Midwestern state, then you’re in the right place!
Download here –> Fun Facts About Iowa
Iowa is bordered by Minnesota to the north, Wisconsin and Illinois to the east, Missouri to the south, and Nebraska and South Dakota to the west. It’s also known for its incredible wind power which makes up over 60% of the state’s generated electricity! Iowa is also the largest producer of corn in the country and if that isn’t enough, here are 12 more awesome facts about Iowa!
iowa facts FOR KIDS
- Iowa was the 29th state to join the United States.
- It’s the only state bordered by two rivers – the Missouri and the Mississippi.
- Known as the Hawkeye State, it’s famous for its rich soil and large areas of farmland.
- Love apples? The Red Delicious apple originated in Peru, Iowa!
- Le Mars, a county in Iowa, is known as “The Ice Cream Capital of the World” for having the most ice cream produced by one single manufacturer in one location.
- The capital city, Des Moines, is the largest in the state and hosts the famously fun Iowa State Fair.
- The state’s diverse wildlife includes the Eastern Goldfinch, which is also the official state bird.
- Native Americans, primarily from the Sioux and other tribes, inhabited Iowa long before the arrival of European explorers.
- In 1855, the University of Iowa became the first public university in the United States to admit men and women equally.
- American Gothic, a famous painting by Grant Wood, is inspired by the architecture in Eldon, Iowa, in the United States.
- Snake Alley in Burlington holds the title for the most crooked street, making it a tourist attraction.
- Iowa is home to around 12 million hogs and only 3 million people in the whole state.
SUPPLIES NEEDED FOR iowa facts COLORING SHEETS
Iowa facts coloring pages are sized for standard letter printer paper dimensions – 8.5 x 11 inches.
- Something to color with favorite crayons, colored pencils, markers, paint, watercolors…
- The printable chocolate facts coloring sheets template pdf — see button below to download & print.
This pdf file includes two coloring sheets loaded with Iowa facts that you don’t want to miss. Print as many sets as needed and give them to friends or family!
DOWNLOAD PRINTABLE iowa facts PDF FILE
- The name Iowa is derived from the Iowa River, and ultimately from the ethnonym of the indigenous Loway people.
- Iowa is one of 10 states the Mississippi River runs through and one of 7 states the Missouri River runs through.
- The Iowa State University has an engineering program that is considered virtually unrivaled.
- Iowa City was the original capital of Iowa and has been designated the world’s third City of Literature by UNESCO.
- The Sioux City Elevated Railway became the first electric-powered elevated railway in the world after conversion in 1892.
- The Shrine of the Grotto of the Redemption in West Bend, Iowa, is the largest man-made Grotto in the world.
- West Branch, Iowa is the birthplace of the only American president born in Iowa, President Herbert Hoover.
- The first Europeans to reach Iowa were the French explorers Louis Jolliet and Jacques Marquette in 1673.
MORE FUN FACTS COLORING PAGES FROM KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG
- Fun Facts About Georgia
- Fun Earth Facts For Kids To Print and Learn
- Fun Mexico Facts For Kids To Print and Learn
- 12 Fun Facts about Alabama Coloring Pages
- Fun Facts About North America + Free Printables
- Fun Facts About Illinois For Kids
- Fun Facts About Peru Coloring Pages
- Fun Ohio Facts
What was your favorite Iowa fact? And if you haven’t been yet, how excited are you to go and visit?