The prairie state is fascinating for so many reasons! From the Illinois River to the Chicago public library and the many famous people who call Illinois state their home, this is truly a fascinating State with a rich history! And if you’re looking for fun facts about the State of Illinois, then you’re in the right place!
Download here: –> Fun Illinois facts Coloring Pages
10 fun Illinois facts FOR KIDS
- Illinois is often referred to as the “Land of Lincoln” because it’s the state where Abraham Lincoln, the 16th president of the United States, spent a large part of his life.
- Illinois was the 21st state to join the United States, becoming a state on December, 1818, and it was the first state to ratify the 13th Amendment to the Constitution, abolishing slavery.
- Chicago, the largest city in Illinois, is famously known as the “Windy City.” There are four theories to explain the nickname: the weather, as Chicago is near Lake Michigan; the rivalry with Cincinnati; the World’s Fair; and politics.
- Formerly known as the Sears Tower, Willis Tower in Chicago held the title of the world’s tallest building for 25 years.
- Charles Mound, in the northwest corner of Illinois, is the state’s highest point, standing at 1,235 feet above sea level.
- The first-ever McDonald’s franchise opened in Des Plaines, Illinois, in 1955.
- Robert Pershing Wadlow, born in Alton, Illinois, holds the title of the world’s tallest man in recorded history, reaching a height of 8 feet 11 inches.
- The Chicago Water Tower, one of the few buildings to survive the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, is now a symbol of the city’s resilience.
- The Chicago Cubs, one of the oldest baseball teams in the United States, call Wrigley Field in Chicago home.
- Walt Disney, the visionary behind the world of Disney, was born in Chicago, Illinois.
SUPPLIES NEEDED FOR illinois facts COLORING SHEETS
Illinois facts coloring pages are sized for standard letter printer paper dimensions – 8.5 x 11 inches.
This pdf file includes two coloring sheets loaded with Illinois facts that you don’t want to miss. Print as many sets as needed and give them to friends or family!
- Southern Illinois is the earliest settled and is known for its rich history and the abundance of antebellum architecture remaining in its small towns and cities.
- The Mississippi River passes through 10 states, one of which is Illinois.
- The Home Insurance Building in Chicago, Illinois is often considered the world’s first skyscraper due to both its design and height.
- Illinois is home to many famous people, including Walt Disney, Harrison Ford and Robin Williams.
- The Illinois State Seal features a bald eagle holding a banner in its beak with the state motto, “State Sovereignty, National Union” written on it.
- Springfield is the official capital of Illinois.
- Morton, Illinois is known as the Pumpkin Capital of the World because 85% of the world’s canned pumpkin is packed in the local Nestles/Libby’s plant.
DOWNLOAD PRINTABLE illinois facts PDF FILE
MORE FUN FACTS COLORING PAGES FROM KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG
- Fun Facts About Georgia
- Fun Facts About North America + Free Printables
- 12 Fun Facts about Alabama Coloring Pages
- Fun Ohio Facts
- Fun Statue of Liberty Facts for Kids to Print and Learn
- Fun Mexico Facts For Kids To Print and Learn
- Fun Earth Facts For Kids To Print and Learn
- 10 Fun Dominican Republic Facts
Illinois sure is an interesting state – We hope you had fun while you learned more about it!