Let’s have some fun with festive Happy Cinco de Mayo activities for kids…and the whole family!
Cinco de Mayo is a holiday celebrated on the victory of the Mexican army over France in a France-Mexican war that happened in 1862.
Keep reading to understand more about Cinco de mayo’s history, food traditions, decorations, kid’s activities, and more.
What is Cinco de Mayo?
Many think that May 5th is Mexico’s Independence Day. Not so (that day is celebrated on September 16th). Cinco De Mayo, a Mexican American holiday celebrated mostly in the United States and parts of Mexico, commemorates the victory of the Mexicans over France at the Battle of Puebla.
The Fifth of May History
- Read more about the battle of Puebla, how long it lasted, etc on History
- Learn interesting Cinco de Mayo facts for kids like…did you know that around 70 million pounds of avocados are eaten on Cinco de Mayo in the United States?
- Get to know how people actually celebrate the Fifth of May in Mexico from Business Insider
- These 15 Cinco De Mayo traditions will help you to get the party started from Reader’s Digest
Cinco de Mayo Activities
Cinco de Mayo Crafts & Printables
- Have the fun going with these Cinco de mayo coloring pages for kids. These are the best coloring pages for your 5th of May celebration or in the classroom learning about this Mexican holiday!
- Make your own Cardboard guitar craft from our kid things
- What is a celebration without a pinata? Make this simple paper plate Pinata which is colorful and super easy to make.
- Shake! Shake! and make music with these Easter egg Maracas from Made every day with Dana
- Make these simple & fun Mexican flag crafts for Cinco de Mayo from Kids Activities Blog
5 de Mayo Crafts & Decorations
- Decorate your Fiesta space using DIY Mexican paper flowers made from brightly colored tissue paper.
- Let your guests know to sit with these DIY Sombrero place card holder from Legally crafty blog
- Decorate your Fiesta with a fun DIY Taco Banner from Club crafted
- Make this traditional Mexican folk art paper banner – DIY Papel Picado from Kids Activities Blog
- Get your inspiration on how to set your table for Fiesta from Toot sweet 4 two
Cinco de Mayo Recipes
- Try the iconic Cinco de Mayo dish – Mole Poblano from Mexico in my kitchen
- Looking for comfort food to celebrate? Try this Taco tater tots casserole or Chicken Enchilada casserole that will make your kids come for seconds via the Kids Activities Blog
- Check these yummy Tex-Mex recipes to set up a variety of food to enjoy at your party via the Kids Activities Blog
- Make this delicious alternative to your regular tacos for a special dinner – Crockpot Shredded Beef tacos via Kids activities blog
- Finish the party with this simple dessert -Sombrero Cookies from Jenny Cookies