Let’s have some fun with festive ideas to celebrate Happy Cinco de Mayo for kids…and the whole family! Cinco de Mayo is a holiday celebrated on the victory of the Mexican army over France in a France-Mexican war that happened in 1862. We have collected some of our favorite ways to celebrate Cinco de Mayo with kids!
Cinco De Mayo for Kids
Keep reading to understand more about Cinco de mayo’s history, food traditions, decorations, kid’s activities, celebrations and more…let’s have some fun!
What is Cinco de Mayo?
Many think that May 5th is Mexico’s Independence Day. Not so (that day is celebrated on September 16th). Cinco De Mayo, a Mexican American holiday celebrated mostly in the United States and parts of Mexico, commemorates the victory of the Mexicans over France at the Battle of Puebla.
The Fifth of May History for Kids
- Read more about the battle of Puebla, how long it lasted, etc on History
- Learn interesting Cinco de Mayo facts for kids like…did you know that around 70 million pounds of avocados are eaten on Cinco de Mayo in the United States?
- Get to know how people actually celebrate the Fifth of May in Mexico from Business Insider
- These 15 Cinco De Mayo traditions will help you to get the party started from Reader’s Digest
Cinco de Mayo Crafts for Kids & Free Printables
1. Kids Will Love these Cinco de Mayo Coloring Pages
Have the fun going with these Cinco de mayo coloring pages for kids. These are the best coloring pages for your 5th of May celebration or in the classroom learning about this Mexican holiday!
2. Make a Cardboard Guitar for Cinco de Mayo
Make your own Cardboard guitar craft from our kid things
3. DIY Cinco de Mayo Pinata Craft
What is a celebration without a piñata? Make this simple paper plate Pinata which is colorful and super easy to make.
4. Make Egg Maracas for Cinco de Mayo
Shake! Shake! and make music with these Easter egg Maracas from Made every day with Dana
5. Craft the Mexican Flag with Kids
Make these simple & fun Mexican flag crafts for Cinco de Mayo from Kids Activities Blog
5 de Mayo Crafts for Kids & DIY Decorations
6. Make Paper Flower Decorations Together
Decorate your Fiesta space using DIY Mexican paper flowers made from brightly colored tissue paper.
7. Craft Sombrero Themed Placecards for Your Celebration
Let your guests know to sit with these DIY Sombrero place card holder from Legally crafty blog
8. Taco Banner for Cinco de Mayo Fun
Decorate your Fiesta with a fun DIY Taco Banner from Club crafted
9. Make a Mexican Folk Art Banner for Cinco de Mayo Decoration
Make this traditional Mexican folk art paper banner – DIY Papel Picado from Kids Activities Blog
10. Festively Set Your Table on the 5th
Get your inspiration on how to set your table for Fiesta from Toot sweet 4 two
Cinco de Mayo Recipes Kids Love
11. Make Mole Poblano
Try the iconic Cinco de Mayo dish – Mole Poblano from Mexico in my kitchen
12. Make a Cinco de Mayo inspired Casserole
13. Be Inspired by Mexican Food
Check these yummy Tex-Mex recipes to set up a variety of food to enjoy at your party via the Kids Activities Blog
14. Make Our Favorite Taco Recipe
Make this delicious alternative to your regular tacos for a special dinner – Crockpot Shredded Beef tacos via Kids activities blog
15. Celebrate with Sombrero Cookies for Dessert
Finish the party with this simple dessert -Sombrero Cookies from Jenny Cookies
More Cinco De Mayo Recipes, Activities, and Ideas From Kids Activities Blog
- You have to try this arepa con queso recipe!
- Mexican flag coloring pages
- Mexican art idea for kids
- Celebrate National Taco Day
- Mexico fun facts for kids
How are you celebrating Cinco de Mayo with kids?