Make Constellations on Your Wall with a Flashlight & Free Printable Star Cards
This super simple star constellation science activity for kids transforms their bedroom in the dark to a starry sky with a flashlight and our free printable constellation cards. Kids of all ages and adults will love the ability to turn constellations on and off while learning the details of some of the most popular constellations.
Flashlight Constellations for kids
We love going outside late at night and observing the stars in the sky. This Flashlight Solar System experiment is a fun way to do that by bringing your favorite constellations inside!
Related: More constellations for kids craft and learning ideas
This post contains affiliate links.
Flashlight Constellations to Study the Stars
- Flashlights, 1 per constellation
- Thick needle
- Printable Constellation Cards – free printable – click below
Instructions to Make Constellations with a Flashlight
Cut out the constellation cards and use the needle to poke holes where the stars appear with a thick needle.
Tape each constellation card onto the end of a flashlight.
Turn on flashlight. The constellations will shine through when you turn on the light!
Shine your flashlight onto the wall or ceiling to reveal the constellations.
The Galaxy is Full of Constellations!
Did you know? There are officially 88 constellations, according to the International Astronomical Union.
How cool is that?!
The 101 Coolest Science Experiments for Kids
You can find this activity, plus 100 more simple science experiments, in our new book, 101 Simple Science Experiments for Kids. It’s the coolest science book for kids — the cover even glows in the dark!
More Activities for Kids that Are Out of this World
- If you liked this activity, you might also enjoy our constellations sewing cards.
- This Falling Stars Glitter Jar is a fun sensory activity that will keep children entertained for hours.
- Print out this free printable Stars and Planet game!
- This glow in the dark stars sensory bottle is the perfect companion during bedtime.
- Learn how to draw a star!
- Make an origami star.
- Grab our star coloring pages!
- Print these fun star facts for kids.
What was your favorite flashlight constellation?