We have the cutest and most unusual maternity photoshoot ideas that take maternity pictures to a whole new level. These maternity shoot ideas make maternity shots some of the coolest photo taking opportunities! If you are pregnant, thinking about becoming pregnant or helping someone take pregnancy pictures, you have come to the right place!
Maternity Photoshoot Ideas
These maternity pictures are a cute way to announce your little ones arrival and a fun way to get the rest of the family excited about the new brother or sister. We’ve seen our fair share of amazing pregnancy photo shoot ideas and even goofy ways to announce a pregnancy, but these maternity pics really took the cake!
Related: Best gender reveal ideas
If you are expecting, or know some one who is, be sure to scroll through and choose your favorite maternity session.
Best Maternity Picture Ideas
1. Announcement Photo
Are you waiting to either find out the gender of your little one OR not announcing it till their big day?? This is a cute maternity announcement photo.
2. Maternity Shoot Ideas
What a cute belly idea – this would be perfect photo for the baby-book. What a great way to show off your growing little one to the whole family.
3. Whimsical Maternity Photograph with Siblings
If you already have kids, try to capture those last moments before your new child arrives. Spend time with the older kids and get pictures. It will be so fun to see the changes in the family once the baby arrives.
4. Heart Hands
Offer a sneak peak or a window into the womb. I love the “heart” hands with a recent sonogram over the belly in this mommy-and-me-shot. This is such a good idea and a simple one that still creates a beautiful maternity photo session. It’s a simple pose, but a great option for those who want something a little more simple.
5. Pregnancy Countdown
Let’s be honest, the pregnancy countdown begins the moment you see those tiny lines on a pregnancy test. These tally marks on the belly are a tangible way to take a maternity photoshoot capturing that countdown in a memorable (and adorable) way! What a creative idea.
6. Sports Photo
Do you and your hubby have a favorite sport? This couple enjoys, you got it, Baseball. Use paint in a maternity photo to decorate the belly to commemorate the sport your future kiddo will grow up loving as much as you do! The best part is you are able to include your husband in the fun.
7. Funny Maternity Photos
I make Humans. A little bit sassy, this idea for baby bump photos had us laughing! This is the best thing!
In our technology age, one of the cutest pregnancy picture ideas we’ve come across is the loading sign. You can get it painted on your belly for a fun photo shoot or even grab the shirt for everyday laughs. I love nerdy maternity photo shoot ideas and you don’t tend to see too many.
Pregnancy Photo Ideas
9. Pose For The Photo
Yes. We’re in love with shadows, but this maternity selfie is one of the most gorgeous maternity poses! Even if you are not able to hire a professional maternity photographer, this is one you can do yourself that will still preserve this wonderful time in your life as you wait for the arrival of your newborn.
10. Mom and Dad Pregnancy Photos
A shadow of what is to come, we are in love with these pregnancy photos that involve the dad casting a heart shaped shadow of the mom’s belly for the best couples maternity photoshoot idea! Love, life and laughter all coming so soon as a family grows together in love. The artistic aspect of these maternity photos totally make us swoon!
11. How Big Is My Baby?
We all tracked our pregnancy with those charts “your child is not the size of a walnut” and later “they are the size of a small grapefruit”. What a great idea – take a photo along with the food that is representing the size of your baby as they are growing. It is a fun week-by-week pregnancy photo idea. This is especially cute and special if this is your first baby. It is a way expectant mothers can remember the experience.
12. Weird Food Cravings During Pregnancy
You can even make your own chalkboard to track your pregnancy week by week. Write baby’s size on the board, your pregnancy cravings and other symptoms. It will be a fun way to do pregnancy photos and document your pregnancy without forgetting a thing! What better way to remember some of the funnier moments of pregnancy.
13. Cute Baby Announcements
One of the most fun baby announcements is revealing the name! We loved the idea to use children’s blocks to spell out the child’s name over mom’s belly. What a sweet reveal through photos to share with friends and family!
14. Best Friend Baby Bumps
If you and a friend are pregnant at the same time, baby bump photos together are basically a requirement. Although the possibilities are endless this shot of mommy best friends and baby best friends definitely melted our hearts! This would make for a very special family portrait for the family album. Best friends are still family.
Maternity Photo Shoot Inspiration
15. Maternity Photo Ideas
Get silly. Grab some paint and show your little one how much they mean to you with a big red heart! Paint always makes photo shoots more fun! This is cute for dad to do or even for an older sibling to do as well. Definitely best for one of your outdoor sessions.
16. Sonogram Photo
Put the sonogram into your pocket. What a cute way to feature your belly in silhouette along with the image (sonogram) that you look at *so* many times throughout the day! Cute maternity photo shoot. This maternity photography session is simple, but would look great on social media like Instagram. What a fun idea!
17. Funny Maternity Pictures With Husband
SO goofy! If you have a partner who loves to laugh at himself, go for it! Document all of the bellies in your household. I love the sympathetic pregnancy shots. This is the perfect time to get silly together. He really did a great pose in the background.
18. Funny Maternity Photos
How babies are made. It’s the age old question “where do babies come from”. According to this family, they come from a lot of air! This is one adorable way to announce your pregnancy and document it until your little one arrives! Great for those with a good sense of humor.
19. Baby Booties
You can use your maternity photos to reveal your kiddo’s gender. These baby booties are just adorable! This would be especially cute if you use the booties from your first child or this would be the ideal time to buy new ones. Who doesn’t love baby shopping! Plus, have you seen how cute a pair of baby shoes are? I just love the little shoes.
20. Silhouette Photos
Take a pregnancy photo by a window. You can do this in the comfort of your own home. The light filtering in, and the dark silhouette makes for a beautiful picture. Being in front of a large window gives a dramatic effect and creates a stunning maternity photo.
21. Before and After Pregnancy Photo
Show off your pregnant belly with a super cute baby outfit in front of you and then show after! Same outfit and pose, and have the baby in that outfit from the photo. This is such a cute idea for your next maternity session photos.
22. Tie A Ribbon
Tie a ribbon over the pregnant belly! It’s a fun way to take a pregnancy photo and a way for mom to not only show off that she is expecting a gift, but what the baby will be too! What a great idea for good photos for a pregnant woman.
23. If Your Hair Goes All Wrong on Picture Day
What a cute idea for a DIY maternity photoshoot where no one has to get dressed up…! Safety pins represent.
What are the best maternity photoshoot ideas?
The best maternity photoshoot ideas really depend on personal preferences and the personality of your and your family. However, there are so many decisions to make when you are pregnant, we totally understand that having some popular and creative maternity photoshoot ideas on hand can really be helpful!
- Nature-inspired Photoshoot: Take advantage of outdoor settings like a beach, park, or garden to capture the beauty of nature. Embrace the natural surroundings and incorporate elements like flowers, trees, or water to create stunning and thoughtful images.
- Silhouette Photoshoot: Use backlighting to create striking silhouette photos. This involves positioning the expectant parent in front of a bright light source, such as a sunset or a window, and capturing their profile against the glowing background.
- Lifestyle Photoshoot: Opt for a more candid and relaxed approach by capturing everyday moments and activities. This could include cozy shots at home, preparing the nursery, or enjoying hobbies that reflect the expectant parent’s personality and interests.
- Creative Belly Art: Decorate the baby bump with beautiful and artistic designs using body paint or henna. This allows for personalized and eye-catching photos that celebrate the pregnancy journey.
- Couple or Family Participation: Involve your partner, kids, and even other family members in the photoshoot to capture the anticipation and love shared during this special time. This can create heartwarming and memorable images that showcase the connection and excitement of the whole family.
Remember to communicate your ideas and preferences with your photographer and discuss any ideas you have in mind. The most important aspect of a maternity photoshoot is to capture the joy, love, and anticipation surrounding the arrival of your little one in a way that is meaningful to you.
How do I talk to my photographer about my maternity photoshoot ideas?
When discussing your maternity photoshoot ideas with your photographer, it’s important to have a clear and friendly conversation. Start by sharing your thoughts and inspirations. Show them pictures or examples of what you like and explain the style or mood you want for your photos. Be specific about the poses, locations, or themes you have in mind. Listen to your photographer’s suggestions and ask questions if something isn’t clear. They’re experienced and can offer helpful advice.
Remember, it’s your photoshoot, so don’t be afraid to express your preferences and ask for any special editing or effects you want. By working together, you can create beautiful maternity photos that capture your unique vision and make this special moment memorable.
What are some good ideas to use if I plan to do my own maternity photoshoot at home?
You can absolutely do a beautiful maternity photoshoot at home. Here are some suggestions to help you make the most of your DIY maternity photoshoot:
- Embrace Natural Light: Choose a well-lit room in your home that receives ample natural light. Position yourself near a window or open door to create soft and flattering lighting for your photos.
- Showcase Your Baby Bump: Focus on capturing the beauty of your baby bump. Experiment with different poses and angles to highlight your pregnancy. Consider gentle touches, cradling your belly, or capturing the silhouette of your profile.
- Cozy Indoor Moments: Utilize the comfort of your home to capture intimate and cozy moments. Pose on your couch or bed, wrapped in a soft blanket or surrounded by pillows. You can also incorporate elements like candles, books, or a cup of tea to create a warm and relaxing atmosphere.
- Nursery or Baby’s Room: If you have already prepared a nursery or baby’s room, use it as a backdrop for your maternity photoshoot. Showcase the lovingly decorated space and include details like baby clothes, toys, or a crib to symbolize the anticipation of your little one’s arrival.
- Outdoor Options: If you have access to a backyard or a nearby outdoor space, consider incorporating nature into your photoshoot. Take advantage of blooming flowers, lush greenery, or even a scenic park. Capture moments in a natural and serene environment.
- Personal Touches: Include items that hold special meaning to you and your partner. This could be ultrasound images, baby shoes or clothes, or sentimental objects. These props can add a personal touch and tell a unique story about your journey to parenthood.
- Experiment with Self-Portraits: Utilize a tripod or self-timer function on your camera or smartphone to capture self-portraits. Set up the camera at a distance and experiment with different poses and expressions. You can also consider using a remote shutter release to have more control over the timing of your shots.
- Include Your Partner or Family Members: If possible, involve your partner or other family members in the photoshoot. They can join you in the frame, interact with your baby bump, or simply be present to capture the joy and anticipation of this special time.
Experiment with different ideas, poses, and compositions to capture your pregnancy journey. Take multiple shots to ensure you have a variety of options to choose from. And don’t forget to enjoy the process and celebrate this time in your life because soon you will be trying to photograph toddlers and that is a whole different ballgame!
More Baby Fun from Kids ACtivities Blog Team
Having a baby is an exciting time. We have plenty of useful baby tips, hacks, and advice that will make being a first time mom a little easier.
- Cute ways to announce pregnancy have never been easier.
- Look at these cute weekly pregnancy photos ideas!
- Looking For baby names? We have the most popular baby names!
- Do you have favorite pregnancy poses that you like to do when you are pregnant? If you are still prepping for pregnancy or trying to recover from your stretch marks, we can help with that too!
- Don’t have a baby bib? This dish towel hack is a life saver!
- Here are some baby must haves you need for your newborn!
- This mom hack that will help your baby to sleep through the night is brilliant!
Do you have any more cute maternity photoshoot ideas? Comment them below, we’d love to hear from you!