How Old Are Kids When They Start Talking?
But, at what age should kids start talking?
- Lots of people will tell you that it’s ‘normal’ or just ‘wait and see’, but the simple fact is that at this age it’s tricky to tell whether he is just a ‘late bloomer’ or whether he actually has a language disorder (difficulty learning and using words). With a child who is learning two languages, it’s not considered an issue if they are speaking well in one of the languages. If your son is not using many words in either Portugese OR English, then I recommend you contact your local speech pathologist. Early Intervention is best!
- Be patient!!! A child has to hear a word hundreds of times before it’s retained.
- Every child is different and speaks in his or her own time. My advice to you though is to keep speaking to him and to not give up!
- I am a speech therapist. If he doesn’t have more than 50 words (both languages combined) I would get him evaluated by a licensed speech language pathologist to be safe.
Delayed Speech and Language Development
- Figure out what the normal milestones are for speech development with this article on delayed speech and language development from kids health.
- Understand language development from the earliest stage with this article on Developmental Milestone: Talking from Baby Center