These DIY playdough toys are amazing! They’re fun, easy to make, and make playing with play dough so much fun! These DIY play dough toys are perfect for kids of all ages. Create funny playdough faces!
this post has affiliate links
How to Make These Easy DIY Play Dough Toys For Kids
Making these DIY play dough toys are fun and easy. You only need a few supplies, and they’re cheaper supplies, so this is definitely budget friendly.
This craft is perfect for toddlers (they may need help), preschoolers, and even bigger kids like elementary school ages like kindergarteners and first graders.
It isn’t a super long craft, BUT it will provide hours of fun afterwards!
Supplies Needed To Make These Fun Playdough Toys For Kids:
- Outlet Covers
- Acrylic Paint (yes, it will eventually flake off the covers, but paint clean up is easier)
- Paint Pens
- Giant Googly Eyes
- Hot Glue Gun
Video: Watch Us Make These Simple DIY Play Dough Toys For Kids
Instructions To Make DIY Play Dough Toys:
Take an outlet cover and hot glue googly eyes on some of the outlet covers. You can draw eyelashes on them if you want too.
Grab another outlet cover and draw a nose! Draw a small nose, a big nose, a flat nose, a silly nose. You can use the paint pens for this.
On the third set of outlet covers draw a mouth with the pens. You can paint them in with the acrylic paints.
You can paint the outlet covers before you draw the facial features. Make it more colorful!
Our Experience With These DIY Playdough Toys
Play dough toys must be several things: durable, versatile, not-a-choking hazard and most importantly – easy to clean!
So many of the kids favorites we don’t *actually* play with as they are a pain to clean up afterwards. What I love about this toy option is that the play dough just falls off once it’s dry. No more scrubbing!!
I love it when the kids look at my “plan” for a project or an activity and change it, add to it and create something all new and all their own creation. We were inspired to create face parts from reading about Allison, of No Time for Flashcard’s, playdough activity day.
I had every intention of drawing eyes, noses and even ears onto our covers. The kids had a better plan. They dug out the remaining googly eyes that we had and the hot glue gun. We glued those to the covers. And instead of human noses, the kids made pig noses. There was much snorting and giggling going on as they created their faces, and wore the “masks”.
My only regret is that we did not have more googly eyes. They were in high demand – you can never have enough eyes!
More Playdough Fun From Kids Activities Blog:
We made several batches of playdough.
Pictured are a number of our batches of play dough. We use gel food dye to get intense colors – liquid dyes just don’t cut it!
- This mega list of homemade playdough recipes will keep your kids busy for hours.
- Make dinner fun with our play doh spaghetti recipe.
- Here are a dozen more recipes for homemade playdough.
- Play doh with conditioner is super soft!
- These are some of our favorite easy homemade playdough recipes!
- Running out of play doh ideas? Here are some fun things to make!
- Get ready for fall with some scented playdough recipes.
- More than 100 fun playdough recipes!
- Candy cane playdough smells just like Christmas!
- Galaxy playdough is out of this world!
- This kool aid playdough recipe is one of my favorites!
- 11 favorite play dough recipes – including several gluten free and edible versions. Every recipe on this list I have tried and my kids have enjoyed.
How did your DIY playdough toys turn out? Comment below and let us know, we’d love to hear from you!