Let’s make our easy moon sand recipe with the kids! Did you know that you can make homemade moon sand using real sand easily? Our easy moon sand recipe makes moldable and colorful moon sand that the kids will love. Make moon sand at home or in the classroom for sensory fun for kids of all ages.
Moon Sand Kids Love
Basic moon sand can be made in just a few minutes with three simple ingredients that cost under $10. One bag of play sand can go a long way. You can make tubs of colorful moon sand to give as party gifts, or for hours of fun at home.
We are going to combine play sand with cornstarch to make homemade moon sand. What is great about this mixture is that, unlike regular sand, it cakes together for molding but then crumbles back into sand. This is definitely one of our more messy learning activities, but it’s so much fun to play with!
This article contains affiliate links.
How to make moon sand
Supplies Needed to Make Moon Sand Recipe
- 4 cups play sand
- 1 cup cornstarch*
- 1/2 cup cooking oil – we used canola oil
- Gel food dye (optional) – or you could try powdered paint
- Glitter (optional)
- Disposable gloves – if you are adding food dye
*If you don’t happen to have enough cornstarch on hand, you can use flour instead. You can also substitute baby oil or coconut oil instead of vegetable or canola oil.
Instructions for making moon sand
In a large tub, combine the play sand and cornstarch. Kids will love doing this messy step using their hands or a wooden spoon.
Moon sand craft tip: If you don’t use fine sand you’ll want to sift it especially if it has little pebbles in it. The sand needs to be as fine as possible.
As we know, you can’t mix oil with the food dye because the food dye beads inside the oil.
- So, you will need to add the gel food dye directly to the sand mixture.
- You can add as much or as little as you like.
- Just remember that you can always add more, you can’t take it away though once it’s mixed in.
- Don’t forget to wear gloves for mixing or your hands are going to be very colorful.
- Add the oil a little at a time as you are mixing until everything is blended completely together.
- Don’t worry, once the color is completely mixed in you will find that very little comes off on your hands when you are playing with the moon sand.
- Make sure you put your kids in old clothes or an art smock though just in case they rub their hands on their clothing.
It’s time to play with your moon sand. Mold it, shape it, add it to sand molds that you take to the beach, or use cookie cutters.
Our finished homemade moon sand
Our homemade moon sand is a favorite for sensory play or just any time FUN play! It is fun to see how you can make molds and form the moon sand in different ways. It has a delightful texture.
- 4 cups play sand
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cooking oil - we used canola oil
- Gel food dye (optional) - or you could try powdered paint
- Glitter (optional)
- Disposable gloves - if you are adding food dye
- Combine the cornstarch and play sand in a large tub.
- Add the oil and food dye and blend until completely combined. You will need to wear disposable gloves for this step.
More sand play fun from Kids Activities Blog
- Make edible play sand with an ingredient you probably have in your pantry.
- And here are 12 kinetic sand play ideas kids will love.
- 15 awesome ways to make your own sandbox.
- Make this fun sand mold craft this summer.
- Or check out how to make this super soft cloud dough recipe.
- This beach bones play kit is sooo cute!
- Check out this fun list of beach activities for the entire family.
- Download and print these free beach coloring pages.
- Grab this amazingly convenient beach wagon.
- Make a personalized beach towel with this easy tie dye method.
- Try this beach themed free printable word search!
- Use Cheerios to make your own edible sand!
- We know how you can DIY Kinetic Sand!
Have you made your own moon sand? Did you add glitter or fun colors to it?