10 Things You Didn’t Know About Hygge (+ Free Printable)
Soothing baths, cozy living rooms, delicious snacks, and warm socks, doesn’t that sound amazing after a long day? Well, there’s a word for it in Danish: Hygge! If you don’t know what is Hygge, you are about to learn all about this cozy lifestyle.
And since we love coloring pages for kids so much, we thought it’d be nice to throw some free printables to color while we learn about this lifestyle!
All about Hygge! What is Hygge, how to pronounce Hygge, and what is “Hygge style”
Getting a simple Hygge definition is not easy, but in short words, Hygge is used to describe a warm and cozy atmosphere, to relax and enjoy simple pleasures. Creating a hygge atmosphere for kids is super easy! Learn how to make a fort and cook some easy pumpkin treats for kids for some mindful quality time together.
If you were wondering how to pronounce Hygge, let us tell you it’s surprisingly easy! Hygge is pronounced “hoo-gah” and is usually translated as “coziness.”
Here are 5 things you need to know about Hygge – find more on the printable set!:
- “Hygge” is all about relaxing and enjoying the good things in life. It’s taking pleasure in the every day and making ordinary moments more meaningful.
- Hygge’s meaning dates back to the year 1800, although various definitions can be traced back to the Middle Ages!
- Hygge often includes a happy time together with family or close friends, maybe at home or on a picnic, while sharing a meal, hot chocolate, and a nice bowl of candy for the kids. Check out these fall crock pot recipes that you can enjoy with your loved ones!
- Many things can be “hyggelig”! “What a hyggelig living room!” “It was so hyggelig to see you!” “Have a hyggelig time” are common phrases in Denmark.
- To enjoy a hyggelig lifestyle, you should try to be aware and embrace the little things, even domestic chores. Try to live your life as an art form!
What is the Hygge Manifesto?
To achieve everyday happiness, Meik Wiking wrote a 10-step plan known as the Hygge Manifesto:
- ATMOSPHERE: Turn down the lights. Light a candle. Set the mood.
- PRESENCE: Be here now. Turn off the phones. No, really — power down.
- PLEASURE: Coffee, chocolate, cookies, cakes, candy. Bring on all the sweets!
- EQUALITY: ‘We’ over ‘me.’ Share the tasks and the airtime.
- GRATITUDE: Take it in. This might be as good as it gets.
- HARMONY: It’s not a competition. We already like you. There is no need to brag about your achievements.
- COMFORT: Get comfy. Take a break. It’s all about relaxation.
- TRUCE: No drama. Let’s discuss politics another day.
- TOGETHERNESS: Build relationships and narratives. ‘Do you remember the time we…?’
- SHELTER: This is your tribe. This is a place of peace and security.
Free & Cozy Hygge Coloring Pages
Get some hot cocoa, relax and focus your mind on beautiful hygge coloring pages that we made just for you. They are perfect for a hygge Christmas activity day! Add this candy cane coloring page for more coloring fun.
To use these coloring pages, you just need to download the PDF, print it, grab some markers, crayons, colored pencils, and even glitter, and then you’re ready to have a hyggelig day!
Want more winter coloring fun? Check out these free coloring pages!
- These printable winter activity pages should keep your kids entertained when it’s too cold to play outside!
- Our winter dot to dot activities a great way to build preschool skills while letting kids express their creativity!
- Stay warm inside and play a winter memory game to print just for kids.
- Design your own paper doll project and choose different clothing like cozy pajamas or an ice skating outfit for your doll.
- It’s never too early to celebrate Christmas! Kids will love coloring these free Christmas printables no matter the season.
- These Harry Potter Christmas coloring pages are the perfect way to have some holiday fun with your kiddos!