This 12-Year-Old Boy Discovered A Rare Dinosaur Fossil and It Is Awesome
Imagine going on hike and making a once-in-a-lifetime discovery: finding a fossil. It sounds like something out of a book or film, but it happened to one 12-year-old boy, Nathan Hrushkin, in Alberta, Canada this past July.
Nathan Hrushkin was with his father in the Albertan Badlands, which is part of a conservation site in the Nature Conservancy of Canada. He spotted some fossilized bones sticking out of a rock and, not surprisingly, the discovery led him speechless.
So what is someone supposed to do when they find dinosaur fossils? In a smart move, Nathan and his father returned home and reported the discovery to the Royal Tyrrell Museum.
Since fossils are rare in that part of the Conservancy, the museum asked for photos as well as GPS coordinates. Then, the official excavation with a team of experts got underway.
The official excavation wrapped up this past Thursday. The result: the team excavated somewhere between 30 and 50 bones, which come from a Hadrosaur.
Of the discovery of the rare dinosaur fossils, Francois Therrien of the Royal Tyyrell Museum said:
“This young hadrosaur is a very important discovery because it comes from a time interval for which we know very little about what kind of dinosaurs or animals lived in Alberta. Nathan and Dion’s find will help us fill this big gap in our knowledge of dinosaur evolution.”
And it all started with a young boy who was out for a walk. As most kids would be, Nathan was ecstatic about the discovery.
Nathan told the BBC: “I’ve always just been so fascinated with how their bones go from bones like ours, to solid rock.” I have a feeling, after this discovery, he will be even more fascinated with everything related to dinosaurs.
MORE DINOSAUR IDEAS FROM KIDS ACTIVITIES BLOG
- For all kinds of dinosaur ideas, these 50 Dinosaur Crafts & Activities will have something for every kids you know.
- This Printable Dinosaur Coloring Poster is perfect for rainy days.
- Decorate your kid’s bedrooms with glow-in-the-dark dinosaur wall decals.
- Did you know that the spinosaurus is the first known swimming dinosaur?
- Make Dinosaur Surprise Eggs and discover what dinosaurs are hiding inside.
- This Dinosaur Dig Sensory Bin are so much fun for kids who like dig or for aspiring paleontologists.
- Did you know experts say kids who are obsessed with dinosaurs are smarter?
- If it’s birthday season, here’s how to plan a dinosaur themed birthday party.
- Make Jurassic waffles for breakfast with a mini dinosaur waffle maker!
- This dad built the most amazing dinosaur play set for his kids in his backyard.