History was made on May 31, 2020 when SpaceX’s Crew Dragon docked at the International Space Station. For the first time in nine years, NASA astronauts arrived at the ISS aboard an American commercial space shuttle.
It was an exciting moment, and it prompted my kids to ask all sorts of questions about space and gravity.
What Happens Next Aboard the International Space Station
After traveling through space for 19 hours, SpaceX’s Crew Dragon docked at the ISS at 10:16 am Eastern Sunday morning. The process of docking took a few hours, as they had to link things like power between the Dragon and the ISS.
There was also 12 total latches in order to ensure they had an air-lock seal. Once that was done, they began to open the hatches.
In zero gravity, the astronauts boarded the ISS in an historic moment… one that captured the attention of people of all ages from all over the globe. Thousands upon thousands of people watched the NASA live stream.
So what’s next? At the time of this writing, they’re celebrating with a Welcome Ceremony. It’s a huge thing to celebrate after all, considering they made it through three major milestones, including launch, docking, and boarding without any major issues. It’s a huge accomplishment, one that has been in the making for nine years.
Now the NASA astronauts will spend anywhere from the next month to three months working aboard the International Space Station. This is a big step toward the ultimate goal of sending astronauts to Mars.
How many kids will want to be astronauts after this historic moment? Chances are, quite a few! Encourage their love of outer space with some free space and moon printables.
OTHER COOL THINGS KIDS WILL LOVE:
- Try these crafts in 5 min!
- Check out our favorite halloween games.
- Make edible playdough
- Create your own homemade bubbles.
- Kids love dinosaur crafts! RAWR.
- Play these 50 science games for kids
- Check out these LEGO organizer ideas so your kids can get back to playing!
- Make reading even more fun with this PB kids summer reading challenge.
- Try these easy cookie recipes with few ingredients.
- Make this homemade bubble solution.
- Make being stuck at home fun with our favorite indoor games for kids.
- Coloring is fun! Especially with our Fortnite coloring pages.
- Check out these activities perfect for two-year-olds and three-year-olds!