This Fall, add a little warmth to your home with an easy mason jar candle that you can decoupage with fall leaves! A fun, inexpensive mod podge craft that is easy enough for little ones to help create. This is also a perfect gift idea for a special grandparent, teacher, friend, or relative. Our family absolutely fell in love with the way our mason jar candle turned out that we plan to make a few more for our Thanksgiving dinner table this year.
Decoupage is a crafting technique in which you glue decorative objects like pretty paper, pressed flowers, or pictures on to another item. The most popular product used for this is Mod Podge which comes in several different finishes such as Matte, Gloss, Glass, Sparkle, Outdoor, Fabric, and even Glow-in-the-Dark. The creative uses for Mod Podge are endless.
- Mod Podge (Matte)
- Mason Jar (I purchased a ‘smooth craft’ Mason jar at the local craft store)
- Decorative Leaves (artificial silk leaves found at a craft store work perfect, just peel them off the stem/branch)
Mason Jar Candle
1. Separate the artificial leaves from the stem/branch.
2. Wipe the Mason Jar with a clean rag. Cover the jar with Mod Podge.
3. Press the leaves onto the jar one at a time. Cover them each with Mod Podge. Coat the rest of the jar with Mod Podge from the top to the bottom.
4. Allow to dry, apply a second coat of Mod Podge if desired/needed.
5. Place a candle inside and use a long expended necked lighter to light the candle safely.
6. Display your mason jar candle on a mantle, shelf, or table to decorate your home this Fall season.
Decoupage crafts with Mod Podge make fun kids activities. Here are some more ideas to check out: