What Every New Mom Should Know
The other day, I was visiting a friend whose baby just turned one. As I watched her busy little guy run around the living room, playing and laughing and enjoying himself, I thought back to those first few months with my own son.
Being a new mom can be overwhelming. All of a sudden, you’re responsible for this little human — their health, their happiness, their future. Every decision can seem like the most important one you’ll make.
We’ve partnered with Pampers to bring you some things we wish we’d known the first time around with our babies.
What Every New Mom Should Know
1. You Don’t Have To Buy It All Now. Before my son was born, I made a list of all the things we’d “need” when he arrived. We bought new nursery furniture and stocked the room with diaper pails, receiving blankets, wipe warmers, and on and on.
Do you know how many of those things we actually used once he arrived? Very little. Honestly, I wish I would have stocked up on a few essentials (diapers, wipes, a few blankets, etc) and waited until we got into a routine to purchase the rest. When I think of how much money I could have saved, I cringe.
What you might need (or want) as a new mom might be totally different from what I needed. And that’s ok! Just because it is on a “New Mom Necessities” list doesn’t mean you need it. If you find something missing, you can always go to the store (or get your hubby to) once you’re home from the hospital.
2. Invest in the Essentials. There are few things that will make or break you as a mom — a high quality diaper is one. No one wants to experience a kid with a blow-out diaper. Trust me.
Pampers Swaddlers is at the top of our list when it comes to diapers we trust. They are made to grow with your baby, from infant to toddlerhood. Their unique Absorb Away Liner pulls wetness and mess away from baby’s skin to help keep your baby comfortable.
Pampers Swaddlers diapers also have a color changing wetness indicator that tells you when your baby might need a change <– that is my favorite feature ever!
3. Don’t Neglect Yourself. Staying at home with a new baby can be isolating, so make sure to take care of yourself AND your baby. Invite a friend over to sit with your baby while you have a shower. Get up and put some make-up on. I know it is probably the last thing you want to do, but I promise that it will help you to feel, well, human again.
4. Be Present. Maybe you only got four hours of sleep last night and your head is a blur. Maybe the dishes need to be washed. Maybe the laundry is waiting. Maybe there are a million other things you could be doing.
But make sure to take a moment — or several — to drink in the feeling of that baby in your arms. Go lay down with him. Read him a story. There is always something waiting, so focus on your baby when you can. Babies don’t keep, and someday you’ll look back and wish for one more snuggle.
5. You Know What’s Best For Your Baby. There will be lots of advice thrown your way as a new mom, lots of choices you have to make. Just know that mother’s intuition is a real thing, and you do what’s best for YOUR family.
My little guy was born premature and spent the first month of his life in the NICU. He was a horrible sleeper, and soon I discovered the only way he’d sleep was in my arms. You should have heard the “advice” that was thrown my way. But I put that baby in my bed and didn’t look back. Now he’s five years old, happy, healthy, and sleeps in his own bed, thank you very much.
You do you. And don’t feel bad. Every family is different. Every baby is different. You just have to find what works. And in the end, if you’re happy and healthy, the baby is happy and healthy, and that’s all that matters.
Now about those essentials…
Babies”R”Us is your one-stop shop for all of your baby needs. Check out these great offers when it’s time to stock up for your little one:
- Get a $20 Babies”R”Us Gift Card when you Purchase Any 2 Pampers Value Box of Diapers (Available In Store Only through 1/16/17)
- Save $4 on Pampers Value Box of Wipes (Available In Store and Online through 1/16/17)
- Get a $10 Babies”R”Us Gift Card when you Purchase Any 2 Pampers Super Packs of Diapers Plus Training Pants (Available In Store Only through 1/16/17)
- Save $3 on Dreft 150 oz Detergent (Available In Store and Online through 1/16/17)
- Save $4 on Dreft 150 oz Detergent (Available 1/20/17-2/20/17)
- Get a $15 Babies”R”Us Gift Card When you Purchase Any Pampers Value Box of Diapers Plus Pampers 7x Wipes (Available In Store Only 2/12/17-2/20/17)
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Pampers. The opinions and text are all mine.
Many thanks for sharing your insights.
Totally agree with number 3! 🙂